Radically Christian Cafe Post New Topic  Post A Reply

my profile | directory

| search | faq | recent topics | forum index

next oldest topic   next newest topic
R C Cafe » House Church » Evangelism & House Churches » taking it to the streets
 - Email this page to someone.    
Author taking it to the streets
David Anderson

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heya readers,

Thinking about getting the good news out today.

Nearly three billion persons have yet to discover Jesus Christ. But wait, a tight deadline looms as many of these are dying everyday. For many, it's now or never.

What needs to occur, imo, cannot be contained in the present Christian setup. Something great needs to occur that spreads from house to house. Let it be, dear God.

Great importance is attached to the last words that a person speaks before leaving earth. Thus: Mark 16:15 Jesus said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.

What was the response? Did the disciples then just "hang out" and gloat each day that "they had no agenda?" I doubt it. The conception then was that the servant who knew his master's will and did it not would be beaten with many stripes... Luke 12.

Here was their immediate response: And they went forth, and preached every where, the Lord working with them, and confirming the word with signs following. Amen.

May the Lord use you wherever you are and may he encourage you to take the gospel beyond your daily situation, whether in person, by phone, letter, or e-mail. This is just one of the many things that he has empowered his kingdom of priests to accomplish.

Good words and deeds unto Jesus, the Christ. What a life - a life in HIM!

Let each one can reach one (or more).

David Anderson Bristol, TN

Arlean Kelley

Dear David,

Thank you for those words of encouragement. I've set a goal this year to speak to 3 people a month. But I am finding that part of my challenge is that I have cultivated so few nonbelieving acquaintances. I am trying to move out into organizations and circumstances that put me in relationships with the unconverted.

I would really like to see posts by those who are consistently leading others to the Lord and discipling them. I think you could help all of us by sharing your experiences. It would be encouraging.

Blessings to all on this Shabbat.

Nobel Kam Aixen

I have been looking at this thread for the last half hour and wondering why no one has added to it since the last post.

I wonder how many people have done the same.

I wonder how many have looked at this thread and thought of the passage that our brother quoted: "Jesus said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature".

Someone has expressed elsewhere that the command was only to the apostles. But it must surely be that those who went taught others to go, or the message would have died out. It did not. It came down to us. And surely it is our task now, to pass it on.

We need to be able to say as they did, "I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received". We need to pass on the message that they delivered: "How that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures". We need to testify as they testified: "Repentance toward God, and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ".

If we have not received that message, then we are not saved. But those who are reading this thread have heard the message. If they have obsyed the message, then they are saved. For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved. But what of the people around us. Don't they need to be saved? They need to call upon the name of the Lord. How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? And how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?

I recently met a preacher who testified that he leads at least one person to the Lord every day of his life. I will not make so bold, but I will say that I point someone to the Lord just about every day of my life.

But in the barren space of this thread, I can almost feel embarrassed to admit it. The preacher I referred to is a rare one in my experience.

Thanks to David Anderson for the encouraging thought about getting the good news out.

Thanks to Arlean Kelly for the challenge to share. And I will share. For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth.

I carry at copies of the Gospel of John and give them away to people I meet. If there is time, I talk to them about the message. If there is no time, I pray they read it to themselves. I carry an evangecube and allow others to see it. I use it to show them the Gospel. These two items are aids, making the task easier to initiate and accomplish. Those who are interesting in knowing about these tools are encouraged to read about them at http://hishows.org and everyone is encouraged to try them. Then perhaps they can share their experiences here.

Discipling a new believer is a more difficult matter, and for that I must ponder the words from our brother that "What needs to occur ... cannot be contained in the present Christian setup". Surley there is a need for the combined effort of believers, and the eye cannot say to the hand, "I have no need of thee". One-on-one mentoring is needed, but so is fellowship within the Christian community.

The Gospel is needed in the streets, but it is also needed in the congregations, where people gather and many are not saved. Once they are saved, they will want to tell others.

Thinking and wanting are not enough. And the silence here is not good. Let us tell it like it is. Let us say among ourselves, "We do not well: this day is a day of good tidings, and we hold our peace".

I could say more, but I leave space for others.

Lawrence Jewell
      Michigan

- posted      Profile for Lawrence Jewell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello,

My family and I have recently come out of the traditional church, and into a house church. We really love the house church, and want to see it grow.

What tips can you give me for house church evangelism. I am familiar with the traditional church methods (tracts, door-to-door work, etc.)

Are there special tips and tools you could help me with?

Thanks, and may our God bless you!

D Anderson
      Bristol, TN USA

- posted      Profile for D Anderson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Lawrence,

You don't happen to have roots in the coal country of SW VA do you? Many of those folks left there in the 50's and 60's to work for the auto industry. "Jewell Ridge" ring any bells?

Back to your question. You already possess, obviously, a very great asset: Desire. God gave it to you and you should apply to him each day for your marching orders. It is He who can open doors and hearts. Keep us posted, my brother. Godspeed!

Lawrence Jewell
      Michigan

- posted      Profile for Lawrence Jewell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks D!

I will let the Lord lead. So far it has been simply awesome to watch HIM add to our church. All the members of our assembly have felt the oppression of the enemy as well. But I am confident that the Lord will win, after all who is like HIM?

As for Jewell Ridge... hmm. I am not from there, but from the Montana branch of the Jewell family. To my horror, I may be the only member of our family that is saved. Why the Lord let me escape my rightful place in hell is still amazing to me.

The one thing that keeps me going, is that I want to please Jesus. I don't want to get into Heaven, and have no testimony, and no rewards to give HIM. How can we enjoy eternity with the blood of our neighbors on our hands?

JeffL
      Virginia U.S.A.

- posted      Profile for JeffL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lawrence Jewell:
The one thing that keeps me going, is that I want to please Jesus. I don't want to get into Heaven, and have no testimony, and no rewards to give HIM. How can we enjoy eternity with the blood of our neighbors on our hands?

I guess we need to be faithful to give them the opportunity to hear their options. I have never been able to force anyone to follow Christ willingly. They must hear and believe and make their own choices. After that, if they refuse, I can pity their case and mourn their loss but hopefully none of their blood will be on my hands.

Case in point. I am working with someone to help them see that their diet is causing them great loss of abundant living that Jesus promised us. They won't hear of any suggestions so I have to kinda work on the fringe to allow them to hear or see things. I have a great testimony about how a change in my diet has greatly improved the quality of my life. Little by little I share some facts about my own experience with him.

Odd thing... he complains alot of his symptoms and admits now that some are related to his weight but his attitude remains, "I'm gonna die anyway. I might as well eat what the h___ I want to and enjoy myself." Well, that attitude might be okay if we were all "Islands." But, the truth is that "our bodies are not our own." We are "bought with a price." Our bodies are God's temple. He dwells in us to show praise and honor and glory to Himself. And, when he is ill it affects his family emotionally, financially, and physically. So, then, when he says he's gonna eat without regard to what anyone else says, he is saying, I don't care.

This example is similar, IMO, to the attitude of the "unsaved." They know they are not happy and they hear of the joy in the Lord, but they don't want to give up anything their flesh desires.

Anyway, nice to hear from you. These are my thoughts.

Bruce Woodford
      Norwich, Ontario, Canada

- posted      Profile for Bruce Woodford     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Lawrence,

Welcome to the cafe!

Just as new covenant life cannot be contained in a box or a package of programs, neither can Biblical evangelism. The new covenant does away with a dichotomized life style and integrates Christ into every aspect of life! When he is in us and we are in him, how can it be otherwise? By a "dichotomized lifestyle" I mean the religious mindset that separates every area of life into two compartments: the "sacred" and the "secular", the "holy" and the "common". This creates a clergy laity distinction, a distinction between secular occupations and "ministry", a distinction between ordinary days and holy days, ordinary meals and "holy communion", between "going to work for the boss" and "serving the Lord".

But when we realize that the essence of the new covenant is that God has given us a new heart, a new life, new relationships, new power, and that as a result everything in our lives that was just "common", "ordinary" or "secular" has now been possessed and inhabitted by Him...we realize that the common has truly been made holy for us!

How does that affect our view of and approach to evangelism? If we thought of evangelism before as an activity (I'm going out witnessing tonight."), a program (Are you a member of the "tract band"?), or time slot separated from our daily lives (Be sure to show up for "vistation" from 7 to 9 Tuesday night!), we now realize that new covenant evangelism flows out of relationship to Christ: "Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19

So often, we put these two parts in reverse order and then forget to follow Him! We are so busy "going out fishing", "taking fishing lessons" etc that we get our eyes off of Him! He never told us to go fishing, or to become fishers of men, but He did tell us to follow Him! He knows where the fish are! (John 21:6) He can catch them with or without our help! (John 21:6 and 9) So if we just follow Him, and as David encouraged you, if we "apply to Him each day for our marching orders" we will find ourselves right in the middle of whatever He is doing in the lives of people around us.

Your brother in Christ,

Bruce Woodford
      Norwich, Ontario, Canada

- posted      Profile for Bruce Woodford     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi brothers and sisters!

Just received this, the "Our Daily Bread" for today. I thought it was quite appropriate for what we've been talking about! Enjoy!

TIGHT LINES

Always be ready to give a defense to everyone who asks you a reason for the hope that is in you, with meekness and fear. 1 Peter 3:15

Fishermen sometimes bestow this blessing on one another: "May you keep a tight line," by which we mean, "May you always have a trout on your line."

As I've gotten older, however, I must confess that a tight line means less to me now than it once did. I get as much enjoyment from fishing as I do from catching.

When I'm fishing, I have more time to walk streamside and enjoy the solitude and silence, and to look for places where fish might be lurking. When I try too hard to catch, I lose too many fish, and the enjoyment of the day.

Jesus calls us to be fishers of men, not catchers (Matthew 4:19). My job is to go where the fish are, walk among them, study their habitat and learn their ways. And then to toss out a line and see if one rises to the surface. There's more enjoyment in that easy effort and I have better results.

So I want to fish for people, looking for opportunities to speak a word about Jesus, casting here and there and leaving the results with God. It's more calming for me and for the fish -- the folks who might get spooked by my clumsiness.

Thus I now bless my fellow fishers with: "May you keep your line in the water." Or, as another fisherman once put it, "Always be ready" (1 Peter 3:15) David Roper

WHEN YOU FISH FOR SOULS, CAST YOUR NETS IN FAITH AND DRAW THEM IN WITH LOVE.

Sonja C
      Ludington MI

- posted      Profile for Sonja C     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Arlean Kelley:
Dear David,

Thank you for those words of encouragement. I've set a goal this year to speak to 3 people a month. But I am finding that part of my challenge is that I have cultivated so few nonbelieving acquaintances. I am trying to move out into organizations and circumstances that put me in relationships with the unconverted.

I would really like to see posts by those who are consistently leading others to the Lord and discipling them. I think you could help all of us by sharing your experiences. It would be encouraging.

Blessings to all on this Shabbat.

Fisher of men
      Canada

- posted      Profile for Fisher of men     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We are firm believers here in being out in the streets here in Ontario Canada. I personally think we have to be led by the Spirit of God in reaching out..but I also think He is leading us to reach out to testify of Christ in many different ways. I would love to hear personally of others who are in the streets/hiways/biways and how you testify of Christ. By seeing the love of christ ? By hearing? By open air preaching?
blessings gail

Zoe
      San Antonio, Texas

- posted      Profile for Zoe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Fisher of men:
I would love to hear personally of others who are in the streets/hiways/biways and how you testify of Christ. By seeing the love of christ ? By hearing? By open air preaching?
blessings gail

Gail, I recently began taking the gospel to the streets, with amazing results and great encouragement from the Lord, BUT with MUCH resistance, confusion, persecution and criticism from my "local church". It all began with an email talking about what Kirk Cameron was doing these days, then watching Way of the Master TV show, then taking the online Biblical Evangelism Course, and eventually taking the gospel on the streets like they train you to, using God's law and God's grace together to bring people to a true conversion.

Using the law (which is Biblical, but somehow lost as an approach in today's seeker friendly churches) brought much persecution to myself and my friends who believed this was Jesus' method. He presented a message of grace to the humble and a message of judgment using GOd's law to the proud. The message is the same, but the condition of the heart is what determines whether it was a message that brought conviction and repentance or just anger and defensiveness.

I'd encourage you to check out the Biblical principles of Way of the Master as outlined in the show, do their online course, and get some of the great gospel tracts and tips from www.livingwaters.com it changed how I view evangelism and sharing my faith. I will warn you that it is not popular with most pastors, local churches, etc because it is viewed as judgmental, it doesn't "recruit" members to churches, and it was created my a para-church orgaization.

By the way, para-church organizations are the ones doing the dirty work Jesus commanded us - feeding the poor, clothing the naked, caring for the elderly and orphans and widows, and meeting the basic needs of people while feeding their souls spiritually. They do the work the denominations don't want to do. And they are made up of all denominations and backgrounds, the true church.

Blessings to your evangelism efforts on the streets, where the souls are waiting.

Crystal Scott
      Glen Carbon, IL

- posted      Profile for Crystal Scott     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by David Anderson:
Heya readers,

Thinking about getting the good news out today.

Nearly three billion persons have yet to discover Jesus Christ. But wait, a tight deadline looms as many of these are dying everyday. For many, it's now or never.

What needs to occur, imo, cannot be contained in the present Christian setup. Something great needs to occur that spreads from house to house. Let it be, dear God.

Great importance is attached to the last words that a person speaks before leaving earth. Thus: Mark 16:15 Jesus said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.

What was the response? Did the disciples then just "hang out" and gloat each day that "they had no agenda?" I doubt it. The conception then was that the servant who knew his master's will and did it not would be beaten with many stripes... Luke 12.

Here was their immediate response: And they went forth, and preached every where, the Lord working with them, and confirming the word with signs following. Amen.

May the Lord use you wherever you are and may he encourage you to take the gospel beyond your daily situation, whether in person, by phone, letter, or e-mail. This is just one of the many things that he has empowered his kingdom of priests to accomplish.

Good words and deeds unto Jesus, the Christ. What a life - a life in HIM!

Let each one can reach one (or more).

David Anderson Bristol, TN

Crystal Scott
      Glen Carbon, IL

- posted      Profile for Crystal Scott     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My name is Crystal Scott. My husband and I are traveling evangelists. God has given us a mandate in this hour to do 3 things.
(1) Fan the flame of revival in the hearts of His people;
(2) Encourage the saints to win the lost and train them – taking them to the streets;
(3) minister healing to a hurting & dying humanity.

Recently my husband and I returned from Oregon where we ministered in 3 churches and 5 house meetings. We realized that there are many believers out there that are hungry for more of God and are fed up with the religious system which does not allow God to freely do what He wants to do.

Do you think the House Church community you’re a part of would be interested having someone like us come and minister?

I think the concept of house churches is awesome. I believe in these last days, God is going to take ‘church’ to the streets. Currently, I am seeking God about how to get our ministry to where the masses are. The fact of the matter is that many will not darken the door of a religious institution. We have to go to them. And that’s what we’re all called to do.

Blessings to You in Your Endeavors for Him,

Crystal Scott

Gail Redman
      London, Ontario

- posted      Profile for Gail Redman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe it is our task for today to reach souls for Christ as mentioned above. Yet is often forgotten today . Its not always a comfortable thing, but going out often led by the Holy Spirit makes it to become something that we are so used to fear will disappear. I personally believe it is crucial and look forward to fidning others this is important to also
Gail Redman Ontario

Quick Reply

Formatting Code

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic

Hop To:

contact us | housechurch.org | privacy policy