Radically Christian Cafe Post New Topic  Post A Reply

my profile | directory

| search | faq | recent topics | forum index

next oldest topic   next newest topic
R C Cafe » Lord's Day » Binding or Fulfilled? » How practical is real Sabbath observance?
 - Email this page to someone.    
Author How practical is real Sabbath observance?
D Anderson
      Bristol, TN USA

- posted      Profile for D Anderson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Exodus 16:23 And he said unto them, This is that which the LORD hath said, To morrow is the rest of the holy sabbath unto the LORD: bake that which ye will bake to day, and seethe that ye will seethe; and that which remaineth over lay up for you to be kept until the morning.
Exodus 16:25 And Moses said, Eat that to day; for to day is a sabbath unto the LORD: to day ye shall not find it in the field.
Exodus 16:26 Six days ye shall gather it; but on the seventh day, which is the sabbath, in it there shall be none.
Exodus 16:29 See, for that the LORD hath given you the sabbath, therefore he giveth you on the sixth day the bread of two days; abide ye every man in his place, let no man go out of his place on the seventh day.
Exodus 20:10 But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates:
Exodus 20:11 For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.
Exodus 31:14 Ye shall keep the sabbath therefore; for it is holy unto you: every one that defileth it shall surely be put to death: for whosoever doeth any work therein, that soul shall be cut off from among his people.
Exodus 31:15 Six days may work be done; but in the seventh is the sabbath of rest, holy to the LORD: whosoever doeth any work in the sabbath day, he shall surely be put to death.
Exodus 31:16 Wherefore the children of Israel shall keep the sabbath, to observe the sabbath throughout their generations, for a perpetual covenant.
Exodus 35:2 Six days shall work be done, but on the seventh day there shall be to you an holy day, a sabbath of rest to the LORD: whosoever doeth work therein shall be put to death.
Exodus 35:3 Ye shall kindle no fire throughout your habitations upon the sabbath day.

I wanted a few of these verses added in to the discussion. They speak for themselves. I have known several Sabbatarians who were unaware of them or just intentionally overlooked them, I suppose. Let God judge.

One prided himself on not getting a Sunday paper, seemingly unaware that Monday's was printed on the day before. Now I realize that different people regard different days of the week as being the real Sabbath.

Not kindling a fire (and not picking up sticks) must have been a tremendous issue as it was the source of heat and perhaps light. What is the modern equivilent of this? Do Sabbatarians today really care or do they just turn on their cooking stoves, heat pumps, and lights, knowing that someone "upstream" is violating the Sabbath laws on their behalf? Yes, I know that many of these industrial age processes are now automated but not all of them.

Do Sabbath advocates actually prepare their food in advance? Do they really stay at home? Do they really let the ground rest and cancel debts according to the yearly Sabbaths? And where are the Sabbatarians who advocate capital punishment for Sabbath-breaking?
quote:
Numbers 15:32-35 And while the children of Israel were in the wilderness, they found a man that gathered sticks upon the sabbath day. And they that found him gathering sticks brought him unto Moses and Aaron, and unto all the congregation. And they put him in ward, because it was not declared what should be done to him. And the LORD said unto Moses, The man shall be surely put to death: all the congregation shall stone him with stones without the camp.
Just athinking - I have no one in mind on this forum and I am not saying it can't be done - Sabbath observance just looks a lot more complicated than most are willing to admit.

Imo. Peace.

alinhim

- posted      Profile for alinhim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is encouraging to me to see that so many Christians are moving away from the get saved live the way you want and go to heaven theology, however the move back to the keeping God's law is a sign of the lacking of understanding as to what really took place the day of ressurection.

the Galatians had a similar delemna and Paul hoped for the castration of those leading the believers into law keeping. He said that if they did Christ would become unprofitable to them. To those who would have us keep God's laws I say if you do Christ will be of no profit to you.

The law of God is God ,fulfilled by God within us. Anything we do to keep God's law nullifys the effect and efficacious Christ within. The work of God is to believe into the one whom he sent. The reality is that the One whom he sent became the life giving Spirit and joined to the spirit of the regenerated man , making a new creation, in fact a new race on the earth. Those who walk by this reality are not concerned with the observance of law , they only regard the inner sense of Life which fulfills the law perfectly.

--------------------
alinhim

JeffL
      Virginia U.S.A.

- posted      Profile for JeffL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello David and Al,

The supreme purpose of the Sabbath is to set aside a time dedicated to serving God. It is a time when God has allowed us to set aside all our other duties so that we can have that quiet time to listen for his still, small, voice in nature and worship. This must be our guiding principle rather than a set of rules. I find that when I cherish this time as a time to spend with Jesus then I spontaneously avoid things that intrude upon this time. And, I certainly do what I can during the week to prepare for the Sabbath so that my time will be as uninterrupted as possible.

If I bath before the Sabbath I am reminded that what God desires is a clean heart. Sin separates us from God. Through the leading of his spirit I prepare my heart to commune with him more fully on the Sabbath by reconciling any differences I have with my fellow man during the week.

If I prepare food for the Sabbath then I have that much more time to spend with him as Mary rather than as Martha.

Remember that God told us to remember the Sabbath day to keep it holy. The word holy really means "set aside." So we could say we should remember the Sabbath day to keep it wholly for the purpose God appointed it. And, there is no question as to which day God set aside for this special purpose. "Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work: But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work."

We may think that real Sabbath observance is not practical today. But I disagree, and I think I have the mind of Jesus when I say that, today the Sabbath has become even more practical. Not practical from a secular sense but practical for our salvation. The Sabbath was made for man but not for common use but for a higher use. God knows we need food, clothing, and shelter. But greater than these gifts is the privilege to commune with God. If we lose that privilege because we work 7 days a week, then that is our loss. How "practical" is that?

Today, we don't put people to death for breaking the Sabbath but we do for other transgressions such as murder. Only God can read the heart and so only He can rightly judge if a man should be put to death for breaking His law. The same principle applies when it comes to the wheat and tares. Jesus said to let them grow together. Why? Because man may mistake a young wheat stalk for a tare and pull it up by mistake. Remember, the kingdom of God is first precepts, which teach principles, which reveals the Person, Jesus Christ, who is fully God. We come to God by first knowing our sins and his goodness to forgive us. But as we grow, we move away from that focus and begin living a life of righteousness by faith in Jesus. We certainly would not want to rebuild those things we destroyed and return to a life of sin.

--------------------
"Iniquitas mentita est sibi"

Faith

- posted      Profile for Faith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi D,

Yes, some of them do prepare food in advance or at least they claim to. And yes, some stone people today for breaking the Sabbath or any of their rules----not with actual stones but to drive the people from the camp. Some also tie salvation to remaining in the camp, thus, many observe rules out of fear of being thrown from the camp. (Not referring to SDA but several others,, don’t know how SDA does.) Other(sunday)groups, especially of the new age, also believe salvation hindges on church attendance.

Exodus 16:26 Six days ye shall gather it; but on the seventh day, which is the sabbath, in it there shall be none.

Interesting. Thus, if one is forced to work on the Sabbath because of a slave master, there is food to gather on the 7th day. Whose fault is it? God should fix it so there is none on the Sabbath.

quote:
The supreme purpose of the Sabbath is to set aside a time dedicated to serving God.
Jeff,

Where are scriptures for this? Thought scripture states rest is main purpose.
Studying scriptures, worship services, etc. can be very tiring.

Bathing on Fri? I never heard that one. Do you have to brush teeth then too? [Smile]

Faith

--------------------
1 Thes. 5:21 (KJV)
Prove all things; hold fast that which is good.

alinhim

- posted      Profile for alinhim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jeff this statement is incredibly contrary to the gospel

"We may think that real Sabbath observance is not practical today. But I disagree, and I think I have the mind of Jesus when I say that, today the Sabbath has become even more practical. Not practical from a secular sense but practical for our salvation."

The Galatians should have observed circumcision because of the spiritual significance that it would have reminded them that they were "cut off" from the world and members of God's kingdom right? Snip, snip and they add to their salvation practically.

God does not require you turn your attention to Him on the day you choose. He requires you remain in the rest of Christ 24/7.

--------------------
alinhim

D Anderson
      Bristol, TN USA

- posted      Profile for D Anderson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am ALREADY under a 24/7/365 mandate to bring every thought captive to Jesus Christ and to do all in his name and for his glory.

He no longer looks for those to worship him in this mountain or that mountain (this day or that day) but everyday in Spirit and in truth.
quote:
John 4:21-24 Jesus saith unto her, Woman, believe me, the hour cometh, when ye shall neither in this mountain, nor yet at Jerusalem, worship the Father. Ye worship ye know not what: we know what we worship: for salvation is of the Jews. But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him. God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.
Just as the other commandments were enlarged and expanded - see sermon on the Mount in Matt 5 and following - so was commandment number four.

But Jeff, if your seventh day of rest improves your condition and you observe it upon his terms alone, then I do not judge you or critisize you for it.

Have a wonderful day, my dear brother and all other dear readers, too!

k_dianel
      Florida

- posted      Profile for k_dianel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I realize that this might be a trival point and some people may not like it. But people in the Old Testament really needed a rest. I mean they didn't have frigs and supermarkets like we have today. Those people literally worked every minute of every waking moment just to live, to eat. There was no "vacations" for them. We have vacations today to help us rest. They probably didn't have the opportunity to become overweight because they couldn't just grab a bag of Doritos.

Shoot, I don't do anything for my food, I drive to the supermarket, cook it in a microwave oven and then I can put it in the frig for the next 5 days or save it in the freezer for as long as what I want to.

Man, seriously sometimes I wish I could just see or know how all those people did it for all those years when they didn't have the conveniences that we have today. I mean, seriously, haven't you ever wondered just how they did it. And to think that Adam lived for like 900 years, I mean that's a long time to have to make food and not be able to even save it for the next day in a refrigerator!!

Kim

Faith

- posted      Profile for Faith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree 24/7 however,

Romans 14:5-6 (KJV)
One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind. He that regardeth the day, regardeth it unto the Lord; and he that regardeth not the day, to the Lord he doth not regard it. He that eateth, eateth to the Lord, for he giveth God thanks; and he that eateth not, to the Lord he eateth not, and giveth God thanks.

--------------------
1 Thes. 5:21 (KJV)
Prove all things; hold fast that which is good.

JeffL
      Virginia U.S.A.

- posted      Profile for JeffL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi David,

You wrote: "I am ALREADY under a 24/7/365 mandate to bring every thought captive to Jesus Christ and to do all in his name and for his glory."

Please tell us why you bring every thought into captivity to Jesus. This is not our natural inclination. It is our natural desire to put anything that condemns our sinful life as far from us as possible--be that God or his law.

Which verse below best describes your old life? What about your new life? Verse 5 contrasts those with fleshly thoughts to those with spiritual thoughts. Verse 6 contrasts the carnally minded with the spiritually minded. What contrast does verse 7 imply?

• Romans 8:
    5 For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit.
    6 For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.
    7 Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.

--------------------

JeffL
      Virginia U.S.A.

"The Ten Commandments are not an alternative to love; they help guide us in how we are to show love, both to God and to humankind. However much it might transcend the letter of the law, love is not in conflict with the law. The idea that love for God and love for our neighbor void the Ten Commandments makes about as much sense as saying that love for nature voids the law of gravity."

I can understand how a person who thinks keeping God's Sabbath is legalistic would be reluctant to do so. But is that reasonable? Do we also reason that if we choose not to lie that we are also trying to earn our way to heaven? What about stealing? Should we then lie, steal, covet, and break the Sabbath to prove we are not legalists? That would seem to be the witness of some.

What if instead of a mindset which believes that obedience to God's laws is legalism we have a paradigm shift and start to appreciate God's law for the very purpose it was given--to work out God's love in our world. After all, Jesus said His followers would be known by their love for each other. Then instead of viewing the 24 hours of the Sabbath as a burden we might instead appreciate having those 24 hours uninterrupted with secular themes and the cares of this life. If we plan to spend quality time resting with Jesus on the Sabbath because we want to do so without interruption then soon we will find that it is a joy to lay aside every burden, every care, and even our labor in order to focus entirely upon Christ. And the beauty is that Christ approves of our ceasing our labors during this 24 hour period and He will never call us slothful.

Sure, we are to worship God 24 hours of every day and to be always in prayer. But truthfully, we cannot set aside our labors every day of the week to give God our full attention. Every man is to labor six days to provide for himself and his family. Those who do not work, shall not eat. Those who desire to do God's will in this respect can rightfully cease from their labors on the Sabbath and devout an entire 24 hours to uninterrupted worship toward God. As it now stands we get short changed because we have substituted 1 hour on Sunday for the 24 hours God set aside.

So test your heart. God has given you a rest from your labors which you would do well to take advantage of. If you believe Sunday is the Lord's day then devout that entire day, 24 hours, to worship of God. If you truly love the Lord you will find that the times passes too quickly. But if you find you cannot do that then perhaps you are less convinced that the Sabbath command is no longer binding than you first thought and in reality would rather do what you want, when you want, giving God just enough time to assuage your conscience.

"Examine yourselves to see whether you are in the faith; test yourselves." (2 Cor 13:5).

It's worthy of asking yourself the question.

Regarding the practicality of the Sabbath. You will find as you learn to enjoy spending time with Jesus and family that it will naturally follow that you will guard that time as a precious sanctuary from the daily grind. You will find ways, such as preparing meals ahead of time, to enhance the quality and the duration of time you spend apart from the cares of this life. It will be a rich blessing to your family and your spiritual life. It's a gift from God. It's there if you want it. But you must claim it. But never turn it into a ritualistic observance of a day burdened with rules. You know what God wants you to do in this regard from the commandment. So allow God to lead you into His perfect rest and you will discover that you want to lay aside all secular things in order to experience total rest. But if you do this because you HAVE TO then you have missed the point. Worship of God must come from the heart. Instead of it being your duty, view it more as a privilege and you will avoid the legalistic mindset.

--------------------

Quick Reply

Formatting Code

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic

Hop To:

contact us | housechurch.org | privacy policy