my profile | directory

| search | faq | recent topics | forum index

next oldest topic   next newest topic
R C Cafe » Lord's Supper » Frequency » London's CH Spurgeon on "when"
 - Email this page to someone.    
Author London's CH Spurgeon on "when"
D Anderson
      Bristol, TN USA

- posted      Profile for D Anderson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

I want you to notice this, that they were breaking bread from house to house, and ate their food with gladness and singleness of heart. They did not think that religion was meant only for Sundays, and for what men now-a-days call the House of God. Their own houses were houses of God, and their own meals were so mixed and mingled with the Lord's Supper that to this day the most cautious student of the Bible cannot tell when they stopped eating their common meals, and when they began eating the Supper of the Lord. They elevated their meals into diets for worship: they so consecrated everything with prayer and praise that all around them was holiness to the Lord. I wish our houses were, in this way, dedicated to the Lord, so that we worshipped God all day long, and made our homes temples for the living God...
http://biblebb.com/files/spurgeon/1167.htm

B e a u t i f u l

His Love Is Perfect
      Phoenix, AZ

- posted      Profile for His Love Is Perfect     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
YES!!! Amen! I wish that our homes and assemblies could become like theirs were.
chubbena
      canada

- posted      Profile for chubbena     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I want you to notice that Spurgeon was for the observance of Sabbath too.
See his "a puritan catehism" #49, 50 & 51.
Not too many homes and assemblies would like that.

D Anderson
      Bristol, TN USA

- posted      Profile for D Anderson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Chubenna, might you post those q and a's on the Lord's Day side of the forum? I can't find a copy of the puritan's catechism. Thanks friend.

Interestingly, I was listening to an audio book by an author named Morgan who asserted that the Puritans were much more life-loving and even frivolic than they have been portrayed.

Ain't it wonderful that Our Lord will one day make all wrong... right!

chubbena
      canada

- posted      Profile for chubbena     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
D,
The catechism is incredibly long and that's where I found it.

http://www.spurgeon.org/catechis.htm

--------------------
My Father speaks to me in OT too and I see Him everyday.

JeanneH
      Superior Colorado

- posted      Profile for JeanneH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wonderful quote from Spurgeon! We just had a man from our house church family return from Kazakstan where he was helping train those in ministry there. Their main strategy there is the multiplication of house churches. They are seeing much growth there- and entering areas of people groups who have been very marginalized, and not had much interaction with believers, or the gospel before.

It is encouraging, and also inspiring to keep living out and spuring other believers on to "seeing their own houses as houses of God", and their own meals as being mingled with the Lords Supper! To see ourselves as Saints and priests, each resposible to preach the gospel to our own Jerusalems, Samarias, and to the end of the world!!!!

--------------------
Jeanne

chubbena
      canada

They did not think that religion was meant only for Sundays
They probably did not think that worship should be on Sunday at all. Now we in general desecrate the Sabbath and worship on this peculiar Sunday for an hour or so and think it’s appropriate because the Lord raised on Sunday ignoring the fact that it was the Roman Catholics who assimilated the Faith with the sun god worship. It’s interesting that the Puritans had no understanding of Rom 14:5 and came up with such Catechism for Sabbath…or had they?

…and their own meals were so mixed and mingled with the Lord's Supper
Was their breaking bread indeed the Lord’s supper? One thing is for sure though. While the believers in Acts elevated their meals into diets for worship, the Corinthians downgraded theirs into something unworthy. And no matter how sincere present day Christians are they turn it into a religious ceremony. I’m not better off for I have yet to go through a meal, let alone a day, without bring the world in. Boy, what does it take to be holy?

--------------------

JeffL
      Virginia U.S.A.

- posted      Profile for JeffL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Boy, what does it take to be holy?"

Jesus Christ abiding in the heart by faith.

David, didn't they often speak of "breaking bread" when they were opening the Word?

--------------------
"Iniquitas mentita est sibi"

chubbena
      canada

He humbled himself by becoming obedient to death
What kind of obedience did Paul refer to? When applied to the Law, Christians call it "legalism" and "works". By definition, Abraham, Moses, Kind David and even James belonged to that school. The way I look at it is, Jesus is my sin offering (and theirs). The way I look at it is, if we deliberately keep on sinning after we have received the knowledge of the truth, no sacrifice for sins is left. Others might have a very much different interpretation but to me the knowledge of the truth is His Law. The burden is still on us until we learn to obey as Jesus did.

Just some thoughts on "bread":
Jesus taught us to pray to the Father "give us today our daily bread". Was He referring to physical bread when earlier He spoke against Satan's temptation by quoting "man does not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God" and later He taught not to worry about what we eat in Matthew's?

--------------------

Quick Reply

Formatting Code

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic

Hop To:

contact us | housechurch.org | privacy policy