House Church Talk - All life proceeds from Him. True.

David Anderson david at housechurch.org
Tue Dec 2 11:55:01 EST 2003

>The same power that upholds nature, is working also in man. The
>same great laws that guide alike the star and the atom control
>human life. The laws that govern the heart's action, regulating
>the flow of the current of life to the body, are the laws of the
>mighty Intelligence that has the jurisdiction of the soul. From
>Him all life proceeds.

         HI Jeff,

Great to hear from you, again. Thanks for the informative post, brother.
Truly, history is HIS story. Dan. 4:17 This matter is by the decree of
the watchers, and the demand by the word of the holy ones: to the intent
that the living may know that the most High ruleth in the kingdom of men,
and giveth it to whomsoever he will, and setteth up over it the basest of
men.

Yet, many reject God's sovereignty.

I appreciated your signature as it recalls the amazing laws of nature
which govern the universe. These laws of nature are of divine origin, we
know. (No, I don't believe in crystals...)

In the real world there are laws about human behavior as well, which are
fulfilled as we truly love one another. Every law of God promotes life
but disobedience (sin) promotes misery now, death later. Yet, many reject
God's laws. The older I get the more I see their wisdom - they are from
God, how could they not be wise?

Consider this passage (which has similar themes found in other passages,
too). I just noticed it a few weeks ago with respect to its several
components.

Col. 3:3 For ye are dead, and your life is hid with Christ in God.

Col. 3:4 When Christ, who is our life, shall appear, then shall ye also
appear with him in glory.

Col. 3:5 Mortify therefore your members which are upon the earth;
fornication, uncleanness, inordinate affection, evil concupiscence, and
covetousness, which is idolatry:

Col. 3:6 For which things¹ sake the wrath of God cometh on the children
of disobedience:

Col. 3:7 In the which ye also walked some time, when ye lived in them.

Col. 3:8 But now ye also put off all these; anger, wrath, malice,
blasphemy, filthy communication out of your mouth.

Col. 3:9 Lie not one to another, seeing that ye have put off the old man
with his deeds;

Col. 3:10 And have put on the new man, which is renewed in knowledge
after the image of him that created him:

Col. 3:11 Where there is neither Greek nor Jew, circumcision nor
uncircumcision, Barbarian, Scythian, bond nor free: but Christ is all,
and in all.

Col. 3:12 Put on therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved, bowels
of mercies, kindness, humbleness of mind, meekness, longsuffering;

Col. 3:13 Forbearing one another, and forgiving one another, if any man
have a quarrel against any: even as Christ forgave you, so also do ye.

Col. 3:14 And above all these things put on charity, which is the bond of
perfectness.

In summary: 1. Our life is Christ and in Christ. (Verses 3 and 4) 2. Love
is our great duty, it internalizes the outward acts. (Verses 12-14) 3.
Detailed regulations, or laws, about ethics (Verses 5-11) do not diminish
from 1. and 2.

Again, the above passage is one of many where these 3. elements are found
together. They were never intended to oppose each other, imo.

Finally, I have said all of the above to say that among the rank and file
of the Lord's army, there is a broad range of opinion about "the
instructions" whether applied to the church or to one's conduct.

         David Anderson

House Church Talk Archive Index, Series 2.