House Church Talk - God Speaks

goodwordusa at att.net goodwordusa at att.net
Sun Dec 7 16:07:44 EST 2003

God speaks.

The universe exists and remains, therefore God speaks, and His Word is able
to be heard by things having no ears, hearts or minds at all.

But being human, we do get confused about so many things.  Is there anything
at all that we do not get confused?

 I can walk across a room and when I arrive not know why I went there.  I can
look at a green light and think it's red -- without being color-blind.  I can
think that a comment is meant one way, when the speaker really meant
something else.  I can think one thing and write or speak another.

Our own state of mind, our own preoccupations, our fears, our ideas about
things, our belief system(s), our desires at any given time -- all this and
more can keep us from seeing, hearing or thinking clearly.  We’re creatures
not designed to know and rule the whole universe, or to know “all things” in
our present state.  We seldom know what to eat for breakfast.

And being fallen, we’re not very accustomed to listening closely to God when
He speaks.  We do not listen because we seldom plan to obey.  A habit that we
develop very early in life.

Even as believers, more often than not, the voice of God breaking into our
busy thoughts, our busy plans, our busy hopes and ambitions and desires (etc.
& etc) is a distraction, opposing our own thoughts, and even offending us if
we’re really set on doing whatever it is we already want to do.

But God speaks anyway.  And He often will say things that really challenge us
in significant ways.

When Abram was busy mourning his lack of an heir, his old age, and his wife’s
infertility, God told him the most impossible thing that Abram could have
heard.  God told him, "Look now toward heaven, and count the stars if you are
able to number them." And He said to him, "So shall your descendants be."

When The Lord visited with Gideon, who was hiding in a winepress, trying to
thresh wheat, He told Gideon the very opposite of what Gideon and his family
were thinking.  God’s message was, "The LORD is with you, you mighty man of
valor!"

When God told Samuel to anoint David as king in Saul's place, it’s very
possible that Samuel wondered until his death if maybe he'd made a mistake,
since only trouble seemed to come from that move.  Had he really heard God
that time?

And what about Able who was led of God to offer a sacrifice, and who died for
his trouble.  Or Noah who spent many years building a box big enough for all
the animals in the world to float in -- many years before there was any hint
of a flood that could require such a box.

And what about Jeremiah who prophesied all his life, and was often laughed
at, thought crazy, or even worse a traitor to Israel.  And even after some of
his prophetic words came to pass, he was still not believed when he spoke for
God among the remnants in Jerusalem, and was hauled off to Egypt by the
unbelieving Jews.

And only trouble seemed to come from those dreams that Joseph had --
especially when he told Jacob and the family.  For many years, things just
got worse and worse and worse.  You can’t get much lower in life than the
dungeon in Egypt.  How many times did Joseph think that life would have been
better had the dreams never happened?  Only after many years did he finally
see God’s true hand in the events of his life.

And another Joseph, many generations later, was also told the opposite of
what he himself felt and believed.  He was told impossible things.  And the
result was that he had to flee into Egypt with his wife and her child.  And
returning, years later, he continued to live far away from Jerusalem.

What about Jesus, our Lord, whose words and actions were almost never
understood during his time on earth -- not even by those who loved Him and
believed in Him.  And there is Saul of Tarsus,  When the Lord spoke to
Ananias about visiting Saul, this godly man felt compelled to remind the Lord
of who and what Saul was.

And Peter had to remind the Lord that his lips had never touched any unclean
thing, when God gave him the vision of all kinds of creatures in Joppa.   But
long before that, a more interesting situation.  God is giving Ezekiel
instructions on how to act out the fall and ruin of Jerusalem.  In Ezekiel
4:9-15, we see God (the Author of the Law of Moses) telling the prophet to
cook with human dung as fuel.  But Ezekiel protests, that he cannot eat any
defiled thing, and the Lord relents, allowing him to cook over cow's dung.

And so on.

In 2 Kings 5, the word of God to Naaman was simply unbelievable and highly
offensive.  By the same prophet, (2 Kings 7) God spoke to the king of Samaria
about a sudden reversal of a famine brought on by the siege of the city by
Syria.  It was unbelievable, and one officer said so.  But outcast
lepers “had an idea.”  Acting on a “hunch” they walked right into the enemy
camp -- against all common sense, except the kind that comes down to us from
heaven when God is directing our steps.  And so the message of God proved
true and the city was saved.

Jesus rarely told people what they expected to hear, what they wanted to
hear, or even what they could understand, much less what they could readily
accept or believe.  Not only was this true before He was crucified, it was
also the case as soon as He rose again, and even after He had ascended into
heaven.

How well would we do, telling people -- even good religious people -- that
the guy we had been following, the criminal who had been executed a number of
weeks ago, was not only alive, but had also risen by some unseen power or
force, right up into the sky until no one could see Him anymore?  And then we
could tell them that He would soon come again right back out of the sky.
This same guy that everyone had seen in the streets and in the Temple area --
that this very man would return to earth, splitting the sky wide open with
all manner of radiance and power, to rule over all things.

It’s often pretty easy for us to accept what God said and did long, long ago,
in some other, far away place, among a people we have never known.  That way,
it's like a nice bedtime story that we might tell our children.  We can see
the lessons in the story, and its moral.  But it can become very difficult
for us when we are suddenly placed by the same God in the hot seat.  For now
we have the same difficulty that those long ago people had to deal with.

We smile to think of Gideon trying hard to believe that this stranger is
really God or an angel of God.  We may chuckle to think of Joshua challenging
a man outside of Jericho, and then falling on his face when he learns that
this “man” is the Captain of God’s hosts come to give the real "battle plan"
for taking the city.

But when we’re the ones who must believe God, when we are hearing God and
trying to make up our minds if this could really be God -- the living God who
rules all the universe -- speaking with us -- with me, right here and now?

The most troubling thing, for me, about the voice of God in my life, is that
I know with all that I am, that it is the Lord.  And He rarely intervenes in
some clear way, some obvious way, just to tell me to have a nice day.

For God break in and speak in an absolute way -- where there is no mistaking
His voice -- often means that I have already ignored the "still, small voice"
that should have directed me into His will.  I have ignored the gentle
leading of His Spirit, the unseen and unheard prodding & prompting of my
heart -- or worse, I have been ignoring the very clear teachings of Scripture.

Anyone at all can and will hear God's voice.  Not just prophets and terribly
important saints of God.  To hear the voice of God does not mean that you are
spiritual or obedient or godly at all.  It does not even mean that you are
physically alive.  It simply means that you exist -- that you're either a
living creature, or a dead one waiting to be raised up again.

Likewise, to speak clearly what God wants you to say, as we all should know,
could even mean that you are a donkey or a mule.  It does not mean that
you’re godly or more spiritual than others.  Even Balaam, a man eaten up with
greed and treachery was able to speak the profound truths -- by God's Spirit -
- words still appreciated and quoted very often today.

Words like, "God is not a man, that He should lie, nor a son of man, that He
should repent. Has He said, and will He not do? Or has He spoken, and will He
not make it good?" (Num 23:19)

Fear God and do not think to add to His words.  Do the best you can to honor
the Lord in all that you do and say -- following the words and examples and
teachings of Scripture.  Never wrest the words of Scripture around to please
yourself or to try and approve your own actions, ideas, or feelings.  Never
think of yourself as "the one person” in your family, your area, or your
fellowship, who hears and knows God.  Always remember that the Lord can use
anyone and anything to get His will across and to accomplish His purposes.

The above would be my advice to anyone who wonders if God is speaking to
them.  Because He is always speaking, I believe, to all of us -- to the
saints and to the sinners.

The real question is: Who is listening to the voice of God?

Who spends time alone with God, just to receive His good counsel, and to know
His good will?  Who seeks God for Himself, to simply have God's Presence --
and not always to get some answer, some gift, some miracle or sign from God?
Who loves God and pants after His good Presence with all their heart?

The Lord knows that I myself am often guilty of wanting some THING from God,
and I seldom take to heart how wonderful it is just to know Him, just to be
alone with Him, to have the Lord Himself and nothing else.  May the Lord
forgive me for so often being as hard-hearted and unbelieving as any unsaved
sinner walking the earth.

Even so, the Lord is gracious and kind to us all, and He woos each of us ever
closer to Himself. And in Him, under His wing, we have perfect shelter in
every difficulty of life and death.  In Him we have peace and joy
forevermore.  In the Lord is abundant goodness and mercy to go around for
every human soul that thirsts and hungers for more of Him.

And so we sometimes become aware that we have heard the voice of God.

Jim

House Church Talk Archive Index, Series 2.