House Church Talk - Who's In Charge Here, Anyway?

goodwordusa at att.net goodwordusa at att.net
Thu Dec 11 13:10:50 EST 2003

In every age and in every generation there are men and women in every
community who want to live & act & speak by their own authority.  Some crave
power for themselves, and others simply reject any and all authority in their
lives.  And many more are a kind of mixture of the two.

It is unfortunate that we also find such souls in the church itself, or at
least directly involved with the church, and so considered as part of the
body of Christ.  Sadly, it is also possible to find such people in
housechurch circles as well.

Such men and women can sometimes fool others into thinking that they are very
godly, very spiritual people.  Sometimes such deceivers gather other people
to them, becoming leaders over many.  How can sincere believers be warned?
What signs should we look for?

The best and only real defense is to have an active and meaningful -- a
living -- relationship with the Lord Jesus in your own life, and to have your
faith firmly anchored in the Scriptures.  Many who've had a shallow faith
have ended up becoming Jehovah's Witnesses or Mormon.  And many more have
ended up in much smaller, lesser known cultic groups.  And by "cultic" I mean
any group that tends to revolve around the revelations and teachings of any
person other than Jesus Christ Himself -- the Jesus that is revealed for us
all in the Bible.

Look at the following passage:

And when they say to you, "Seek those who are mediums and wizards, who
whisper and mutter," should not a people seek their God?  Should they seek
the dead on behalf of the living?.  To the law and to the testimony!  If they
do not speak according to this word, it is because there is no light in
them.  They will pass through it hard pressed and hungry; and it shall
happen, when they are hungry, that they will be enraged and curse their king
and their God, and look upward.  Then they will look to the earth, and see
trouble and darkness, gloom of anguish; and they will be driven into
darkness.  (Isaiah 8:19-22)

Few sincere believers would stoop to going to a medium or psychic -- at least
not to one who advertised themselves as such.  But too many have been snared
by men and/or women who do not speak and teach according to Scripture.  Such
false prophets or teachers consult themselves, or may even consult with evil
spirits for their direction.  Where did Joseph Smith and Brigham Young get
the Mormon doctrines?  Where did JW's teachings really originate?

Did you notice what Isaiah said?  In Isaiah 8:20, he says, "To the law and to
the testimony: if they speak not according to this word, it is because there
is no light in them."  And that warning is being ignored today.  Even many
who claim to base their beliefs on Scripture do not speak according to the
Bible.  Men and women are setting themselves up as spiritual leaders to the
church who do not speak according to the words and teachings of Scripture.

Some of them claim that believers in Jesus do not have to live according to
rules laid down in the Bible.  And others simply twist the Scriptures around
to make them "prove" or support some false teaching.  Either way, they are
not willing to speak the message of God or teach what He has revealed to all
the world in Scripture.

True, we do not living according to a law, according to a set of rules.
Eternal life comes to us by faith in Jesus Christ.  But we do have the rule
of God, the law being written to our hearts by the Holy Spirit.  And the Lord
will not direct us to contradict what He's already revealed in the prophets,
and by His own Son, as true righteousness.  What He called evil in ages past
He will not start calling righteousness today.  Adultery and murder and
stealing, and all the other sins of humankind are still sins.

The result of false leaders should be obvious to all.  Men and women who are
false to God will be false in whatever they teach about God.  And the result
is that more and more people (whoever follows after the false leaders) will
be ignorant of God altogether.

Amos talks about this, as one aspect of God's judgment on those who no longer
desire the truth.  If we reject the truth, we will soon lose contact with the
truth.

Behold, the days come, saith the Lord GOD, that I will send a famine in the
land, not a famine of bread, nor a thirst for water, but of hearing the words
of the LORD: And they shall wander from sea to sea, and from the north even
to the east, they shall run to and fro to seek the word of the LORD, and
shall not find it.  (Amos 8:11,12)

Paul also talks about this same kind of thing (but to a greater degree) in
Romans 1:18-32.

No one needs to worry about this, so long as we live our lives unto the Lord
Himself -- and not merely unto men.

Know the Lord and walk closely with Him, trusting Him and trusting in His
work of grace in your life.  Good teaching is certainly good, but pay
attention to the Scriptures themselves -- in your own daily walk, reading the
Bible often and applying what it plainly says to your life.  Ask the Lord to
open your heart and mind to understand the Scriptures, and then write down in
a daily journal, if possible, whatever He shows you in the Bible as you read
it alone with Him.  Share what the Lord is saying to you with other believers
in your family or fellowship, and allow them to share from their lives with
you.

God is the one and only true authority, and He has given all authority to His
Son, the Lord Jesus Christ.  Let Jesus rule your heart and mind.  Don't allow
anyone else to take that place of Shepherding you.

According to John's Gospel, chapter 10 (not to mention Psalm 23, and Ezekiel
34), you already have a good Shepherd, one who laid down His life for you.
What more should anyone want?  Let us all be sure to know His voice and
follow Him in all things.

Jim

House Church Talk Archive Index, Series 2.