House Church Talk - Riddle me this. (Wesleyans)

RoyalHeirling at aol.com RoyalHeirling at aol.com
Thu Dec 18 22:28:19 EST 2003

Throughout the ages, God has used various means and men to bring His message
to bear upon their hearts. The many Protestant denominations should be viewed
as a message from God that we still have a ways to go--that no one has gotten
it right yet! But, many denominations have brought a neglected aspect of God's
truth to light. For example, the Wesleyan's, as David mentioned in his email,
helped illuminate the need for living a sanctified life.

Many people denounce Martin Luther for his smoking and drinking. But we must
remember that he was called out of an apostate religion to bring to light that
man is justified by faith alone and not by works, as the Catholic religion
teaches. God raised up Martin Luther to bring a critical point of truth back to
the minds of men.

God leads us on as we are willing to follow. Had Martin Luther come
denouncing all the vices of his time surely the emphasis that God wanted to place upon
the truth of Justification by Faith would not have had the same impact. So,
too, God has raised up other men to lead us in the path he would have us to go.
Just stop and consider some of the important truths that these early
Protestant reformers emphasized.

When we judge that these early reformers should have lived more pure
Christian examples, then we admit that we too are guilty and worthy of judgment for
our slothfulness. And we are far more guilty than they because we have had
opportunity to hear far more truth than they.

A very interesting article, David. I am not sure to what you were eluding
when you asked us to guess as to the reason the meetings finally collapsed. But,
my guess would be that the group was eventually diluted with carnal elements
which invaded their meetings. Such was the case with many of the churches Paul
helped establish. Such was the warning Paul delivered to these same churches.

Regards,

Jeff Logan

The same power that upholds nature, is working also in man. The
same great laws that guide alike the star and the atom control
human life. The laws that govern the heart's action, regulating
the flow of the current of life to the body, are the laws of the
mighty Intelligence that has the jurisdiction of the soul. From
Him all life proceeds.