House Church Talk - Fellowship -- Who Needs It?

goodwordusa at att.net goodwordusa at att.net
Tue Nov 18 12:30:00 EST 2003

Fellowship Do We Really Need It?

That's a question that we each must answer in the presence of our Lord.  We
can use others as an excuse to miss out on the blessings and the working of
God, or we can yield to the Lord, allowing Him to teach us.   He teaches all
who will listen and follow.

I came across an interesting colloection of passages having to do with
fellowship while reading in my Online Bible (free Bible software) this
morning.  I changed a few of the references, but mostly left it as it was.
You may also find it interesting.

Scripture speaks of fellowship

1. With God, consisting in:

a. the knowledge of His will
Job 22:21 Acquaint now thyself with him, and be at peace: thereby good shall
come unto thee.
John 17:3  And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true
God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent.

b. agreement with His designs
Amos 3:3  Can two walk together, except they be agreed?

c. mutual affection
Romans 8:38,39  For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels,
nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, Nor
height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from
the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

d. enjoyment of His presence
Psalm 16:11  Thou wilt shew me the path of life: in thy presence is fulness
of joy; at thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore.

e. conformity to His image
1 John 1:6  If we say that we have fellowship with him, and walk in darkness,
we lie, and do not the truth...
1 John 2:6  He that saith he abideth in him ought himself also so to walk,
even as he walked.

f. participation of His joy
1 John 1:3, 4  That which we have seen and heard declare we unto you, that ye
also may have fellowship with us: and truly our fellowship is with the
Father, and with his Son Jesus Christ.  And these things write we unto you,
that your joy may be full.

Ephesians 3:14-21  For this cause I bow my knees unto the Father of our Lord
Jesus Christ, of whom the whole family in heaven and earth is named, that he
would grant you, according to the riches of his glory, to be strengthened
with might by his Spirit in the inner man; that Christ may dwell in your
hearts by faith; that ye, being rooted and grounded in love, may be able to
comprehend with all saints what is the breadth, and length, and depth, and
height; and to know the love of Christ, which passeth knowledge, that ye
might be filled with all the fulness of God.  Now unto him that is able to do
exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power
that worketh in us, unto him be glory in the church by Christ Jesus
throughout all ages, world without end. Amen.

2. Of the saints -- with each other
1 Corinthians 1:9  God is faithful, by whom ye were called unto the
fellowship of his Son Jesus Christ our Lord.

a. in duties
Philippians 1:4,5  Always in every prayer of mine for you all making request
with joy, for your fellowship in the gospel from the first day until now...
Romans 12:5  So we, being many, are one body in Christ, and every one members
one of another.
1 Corinthians 12:12  For as the body is one, and hath many members, and all
the members of that one body, being many, are one body: so also is Christ.

b. in observances of faith
Hebrews 10:25  Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the
manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see
the day approaching.
Acts 2:46  And they, continuing daily with one accord in the temple, and
breaking bread from house to house, did eat their meat with gladness and
singleness of heart...

c. in grace, love, joy, etc.
Malachi 3:16  Then they that feared the LORD spake often one to another: and
the LORD hearkened, and heard it, and a book of remembrance was written
before him for them that feared the LORD, and that thought upon his name.
2 Corinthians 8:4  Praying us with much intreaty that we would receive the
gift, and take upon us the fellowship of the ministering to the saints.

d. mutual interest, spiritual and temporal
Romans 12:4 & 13  For as we have many members in one body, and all members
have not the same office... Distributing to the necessity of saints; given to
hospitality.
Hebrews 13:16  But to do good and to communicate forget not: for with such
sacrifices God is well pleased.

e. in difficulties & sufferings
Romans 15:1,2  We then that are strong ought to bear the infirmities of the
weak, and not to please ourselves.  Let every one of us please his neighbour
for his good to edification.
Galatians 6:1,2   Brethren, if a man be overtaken in a fault, ye which are
spiritual, restore such an one in the spirit of meekness; considering
thyself, lest thou also be tempted.  Bear ye one another’s burdens, and so
fulfil the law of Christ.
Romans 12:15  Rejoice with them that do rejoice, and weep with them that
weep.

f. in glory
Revelation 7:9  After this I beheld, and, lo, a great multitude, which no man
could number, of all nations, and kindreds, and people, and tongues, stood
before the throne, and before the Lamb, clothed with white robes, and palms
in their hands...