House Church Talk - Evangelism Explosion III

David Anderson david at housechurch.org
Wed Nov 26 12:01:53 EST 2003

>Dear all,
>
>would someone privately give me some comments on
>Evangelism Explosion III  by D. James Kennedy  ?
>
>       Tim Wai
>       Hong Kong

Evangelism or spreading the good news is always timely, Tim. I wish there
were more folks desirous to discuss it.

Lines are occasionally drawn between us as to whether lifestyle
evangelism OR verbal proclamation is the best way, as if these elements
somehow opposed one another. I don't believe they do.

See how in I Peter (and on the daily path) that lifestyle can lead to
verbal communications. 1 Pet. 3:15 But sanctify the Lord God in your
hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh
you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear:

I am unfamiliar with EE "lll" but know that God has mightily used the
previous versions. D. James Kennedy is a Presbyterian but he loves all
the saints. There was nothing, imo, sectarian about the EE materials I
studied years ago.

Still, some are opposed to any prepackaged "method." To those I would
just advise to seek the Lord and carry on with an ear to his voice. There
are many, many ways to share Jesus Christ.

Surely, those who observed Jesus doing personal evangelism learned much
and saw patterns (methods) emerge. I think we can also draw a safe
inference from the practice of prayer, which, like evangelism, should be
spontaneous. Jesus nevertheless said: When you pray, pray IN THIS MANNER.
Matt. 6:7

So, if there is something about the process which I can learn from
another, I will regard it as a gift. In the meantime, let's share our
Treasure, not out of guilt but out of love and with joy.

       David Anderson