House Church Talk - Good Questions

goodwordusa at att.net goodwordusa at att.net
Thu Nov 27 15:25:54 EST 2003

Whatever Happened to Jesus?

A brother on another HC discussion list posted questions regarding the early
church fathers:

He writes in part:
> I been spending some time reading over the writings of the early church
fathers and trying to find out why it is that they seem so different then the
new testament writings. ... in the new testament the focus is on the
revelation of Christ and on how christians are supposed to now live in light
of it. But when you get to the writings of the early church fathers you start
to see more and more talk about church structure and doctrinal beliefs and
almost no talk about the revelation of Christ and how we are supposed to live
in light of it.

> The picture I am getting is that in the passing of the apostles some early
believers ... began to depend on a system to carry them through. The same
system that christians have been arguing about ever since.

My comments:
In my own life I've noticed how the Lord will sometimes reveal something
great, or do a great work in us, and then sort of leave us to ourselves, to
see how we do with it.  We often drift pretty quickly, getting things messed
up.

In the ancient book of Judges, the Lord reveals this about the generation
that followed Joshua's:

Scripture says:
So the people served the LORD all the days of Joshua, and all the days of the
elders who outlived Joshua, who had seen all the great works of the LORD
which He had done for Israel.... When all that generation had been gathered
to their fathers, another generation arose after them who did not know the
LORD nor the work which He had done for Israel. Then the children of Israel
did evil in the sight of the LORD, and served the Baals... (Judges 2:7, 10 &
11)

We seem to have a great human weakness when it comes to carrying on very long
with what the Lord has given to us.  And we too often forget to return daily
into His presence for refreshing, joy and life.  We need the living waters
but often ignore them to look elsewhere.

The strength and the wisdom and the ability to live for God is not in us at
all -- except by the Spirit of God, who must always be taking from the living
Jesus and giving to us.

Scripture reminds us:
But as for you, return to your God, hold fast to love and justice, and wait
continually for your God.  (Hosea 12:6)

Seek the LORD and his strength; seek his presence continually.  (Psalm 105:4)

...continually... return...

It must always be a continual, daily thing that we look to Jesus, to Him
alone, just as they did in the days of the apostles.  For only in Him -- in
Jesus Himself -- do we have the truth and the life and the open way to the
Father.

It's all in Jesus, just as He said.

Jim

original message in full: