House Church Talk - Christians in action

goodwordusa at att.net goodwordusa at att.net
Sat Nov 29 14:48:49 EST 2003

David Anderson writes:
> In the reading of the Scriptures, many fail to observe that the early
> church was a mighty engine of social service. It was a comprehensive
> welfare system which took in the unfortunate, widows, and unwanted
> babies. It was also a burial organization.
>
> Check out this text (and the capitalized word) from the early records:
> Acts 6:1 In those days when the number of disciples was increasing, the
> Grecian Jews among them complained against the Hebraic Jews because their
> widows were being overlooked in the DAILY distribution of food.

Good thoughts there, David.

Are you thinking that the first believers were trying to help feed ALL the
poor in Jerusalem and/or Judea -- as opposed to just the believing poor?  Or
did they still see all Jews, at that time, as believers in the one true God?

A few other NT passages that touch on the poor (but their are many, many
more):

For it hath pleased them of Macedonia and Achaia to make a certain
contribution for the poor saints which are at Jerusalem.  (Rom 15:26)

Praying us with much intreaty that we would receive the gift, and take upon
us the fellowship of the ministering to the saints.  (2 Cor 8:4)

Only they would that we should remember the poor; the same which I also was
forward to do.  (Gal 2:10)

Hearken, my beloved brethren, Hath not God chosen the poor of this world rich
in faith, and heirs of the kingdom which he hath promised to them that love
him?  (James 2:5)

Jim