House Church Talk - Body Life in Montana

goodwordusa at att.net goodwordusa at att.net
Sat Oct 4 15:10:52 EDT 2003

Thanks, Bruce and Paul, for those good words of encouragement.

I believe it is fitting for us to pray earnestly for our town/area, that
God's hand will move mightily among His own children, for the sake of all the
people there.  I get this idea, in part, from Paul's admonition to pray for
all men (1 Tim 2:1-4), and from Jeremiah's exhortation from the Lord to the
captives in Babylon (Jer 29:7) where the Lord tells the people to pray for
the shalom of the city where they lived, for in the shalom of that city was
their shalom.

Jeremiah 29:7 -- "And seek the [shalom] of the city where I have caused you
to be carried away captive, and pray to the LORD for it; for in its [shalom]
you will have [shalom].

And shalom means more than our English word for peace -- it is the peace +
health + prosperity that comes from God Himself.  And the prosperity we need
in our cities, our areas, is not more money, but the true riches of Jesus
Christ that are given to all the saints of God by the Spirit and the Word.

Those first captives, by the way, were the people that God was watching over
(as opposed to those left behind) (see Jer 24:1-10).  They were the future of
Israel, the ones that the Lord had tucked away for safe-keeping until He
should restore and bless Israel.

I mention this because even though we who trust in Jesus may seem to be a
scattered lot, and we must concern ourselves each day with mundane things and
the business of life, we are nonetheless the people of the Lord's keeping and
love.  He delights to bless and enrich us with heavenly things -- both now
and forever.

And we know that every good thing comes down to us from the Father through
Jesus Christ our Lord.  All praise and glory belong to Him forever and ever.
Amen.

Jim
"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of
[shalom] and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope. Then you will call
upon Me and go and pray to Me, and I will listen to you.  And you will seek
Me and find Me, when you search for Me with all your heart."  Jer 29:11-13