House Church Talk - Whatcha singing lately?

David Anderson david at housechurch.org
Thu Oct 16 13:16:23 EDT 2003

>Hmm, I thought the difference was that you dance to the fiddle, and sleep to
>the violin..
>
>Got any Itzhak Perlman fans out there?
>

>Scott
>really really wanting to learn to play "either one"

   Hiya Scott, hiya all,

I'm not an Itzhak Perlman fan yet, but I recently noticed a very
successful entertainer who was using her fiddle and voice for the Lord
Jesus. She's the youngest person ever to be inducted into the Country
Music Hall of Fame: Allison Krauss.

Not a Christian entertainer, per se, but an entertainer who is a
Christian. At her Louisville KY concert (with Union Station, available on
CD and DVD) she closed out with 2 very deliberate and moving Gospel
numbers. I'll post one below. I would suppose that much thought goes into
a performer's final selection which is a type of farewell or benediction.

ALSO, in our little town of Bristol, TN, another Hall of Famer, Ralph
Stanley, played about 10 Christian songs at a citywide gathering a couple
of weeks ago. AND Louise Mandrel just came through to entertain at the
Christian Medical and Dental Associations annual meeting. Between numbers
she spoke about her trials and triumphs as a Christian. She plays more
than a dozen instruments (not simultaneously) and was photographed in our
newspaper with an unusual white violin. But don't envy her, years ago she
was diagnosed with an "incurable" disease...

Well, God has his people, doesn't he? Even in precarious high places.
I'll pick it up there later, perhaps.

May He be your joy and song, today.

    David Anderson

            ----------------------------------

    There Is A Reason

I've seen hard times and I've been told
There isn't any wonder that I fall
Why do we suffer, crossing off the years
There must be a reason for it all

I've trusted in You, Jesus, to save me from my sin
Heaven is the place I call my home
But I keep on getting caught up in this world I'm living in
And Your voice it sometimes fades before I know

Hurtin' brings my heart to You, crying with my need
Depending on Your love to carry me
The love that shed His blood for all the world to see
This must be the reason for it all

       (Pause here for incredible dobro and guitar work.)

Hurtin' brings my heart to You, a fortress in the storm
When what I wrap my heart around is gone
I give my heart so easily to the ruler of this world
When the one who loves me most will give me all

In all the things that cause me pain You give me eyes to see
I do believe but help my unbelief
I've seen hard times and I've been told
There is a reason for it all

   Almighty God,

Thank you for those courageous ones who use their gifts for you - outside
of the church's walls. Bless them and keep them pure.

   In Jesus' name, Amen.