House Church Talk - Re: Baptisms and Administrations

Bruce Woodford bwood4d at hotmail.com
Sun Apr 4 13:14:06 EDT 2004

Hi Ross,

You wrote:"Regarding the wise men, they came from Persia where Israel had
been in captivity and where there was still a substantial Jewish population
who never left. So their information would have come from the Hebrew
population in their homeland and/or copies of Israel's sacred writings and
literature."

How do you know they came from Persia?  Scripture simply says, "the east".
They testified that the reason they came was NOT "for we have heard
prophecies of his birth from Israelites in Persia"!, but rather, "for we
have seen his star in the east and are come to worship him."   They were
unaware of his prophesied birth place etc !  So what makes you think they
had gotten their information from the Jewish population in Persia???

Re. Sir Robert Anderson's "The Coming Prince", you wrote:"I have skimmed
through parts but have not read it through. Do I think that Anderson is true
to his own stated principles or do I believe that he has intentionally
"pulled the wool over" the eyes of most of his "unsuspecting readers"? I can
not believe he intentionally bamboozled his readers. I put checking it out
on my list of things to do! ;^) I would be disappointed if I found out he
was trying to pull the wool over his readers' eyes!"

Brother, read that volume carefully, note Anderson's stated principles and
then compare his own dealings with scripture with those principles, check
all his calculations with a calculator and see if he is consistent with his
own principles. Personally, I was very disappointed with him and realized
that he knew very well what he was doing, but also knew well that few would
"check up on him" but would rather accept what he wrote as "Gospel truth"!

You wrote:"ALL the 12 had a responsibility to baptize, but do we? Where is
it explicitly stated that WE are to go and water baptize? The command was to
a specific group who also were instructed to do other things and of which
specific signs would follow. We are not seeing those signs today! Paul the
apostle to the nations (since Israel would not serve God), UNLIKE the 12,
was NOT sent to baptize, so why should we? There are no explicit statements
that everyone should baptize, only those immediate disciples of Christ's
earthly ministry were instructed to do so."

Brother, with David A., I am left to wondering what (if anything) that Jesus
taught and commanded his disciples, you think applies to us today??
Preaching the Gospel, praying in His name, loving one another, remembering
him in breaking of bread, etc etc???  As for me, the Lord Jesus' statement
to them in Mat thew 28 makes it perfectly clear: "make disciples of all
nations, teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded
you."

You also wrote:"We have no responsibility under the New Covenant, it was not
made with the nations, it was made with Israel. Since Israel has not
properly accepted Messiah, there is yet to be an actual (legal?)
implementation of the New Covenant. Neither Israel nor the nations are under
the New Covenant now. There is no New Covenant responsibility today. But
there will be when Israel is restored in the future. The blessings that the
nations enjoy today are based on Christ's work even as the New Covenant is,
but we receive them purely by GRACE and not by Covenant; the only
responsibility that entails is righteousness and conformity to Christ, not
ANY typical shadows now past and yet to be fulfilled."

Dear brother, when Jeremiah and the writer to the Hebrews write:"I will make
a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah...etc",
   they are NOT saying that God had no intention of also making that
covenant WITH GENTILE BELIEVERS!!

The Lord Jesus' command, "This do in remembrance of me" (Luke 22:19)
involved partaking of the cup of the new covenant in His blood!  This was
one of the commands which they were instructed to teach disciples of all
nations to observe.

Also Paul,  in II Cor.3,  wrote to Gentile believers at Corinth concerning
the new covenant written in THEIR HEARTS!

Dear brother, when you wrote, "There is no New Covenant responsibility
today. But there will be when Israel is restored in the future.",  it seems
that you are not reading the same "new covenant" that is stated in my Bible!
  The old covenant (the ten commandments which Israel promised to perform)
placed major responsibilities upon Israel which they could never keep, and
that is why that covenant brought them into bondage, just as God intended it
would!  But the keeping of the seven promises of the new covenant are ALL
GOD'S RESPONSIBILITIES!  It is completely a one-sided covenant as far as the
responsibilities for keeping it are concerned!  Not one promise or condition
of the new covenant is made to be a responsibility of new covenant
believers!

The seven promises of the new covenant are as follows:
1. I will put my law in their inward parts,
2. I will write it in their hearts;
3. I will be their God,
4. They shall be my people.
5. They shall teach no more every man his neighbour, and every man his
brother, saying, Know the LORD: for they shall all know me, from the least
of them unto the greatest of them, saith the LORD: *
6. I will forgive their iniquity,
7. I will remember their sin no more.

* "And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God,
and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." John 17:3

There is not a single term of the new covenant which places any
responsibility on new covenant believers!!!  That is why it is an eternal
covenant which we cannot ever break!

You had written:"If individuals wanted a relationship with God, they
formerly had to come through the covenant nation of Israel. Are there not
instructions in the Law for how those of other nations are to approach and
worship God? Were they not required to come and conduct themselves in
respect of the covenant people?"  to which I had responded: "Where in
scripture do you find this idea taught? What sort of instructions, subjects
or contexts come to your mind relative to these things?"

Your response was:"These actually apply to those foreigners joining or
travelling with the congregation of God and not to outside nations. While I
don't want to exclude a relationship to the God of Israel outside of Israel,
such seems to be rare and atypical. Any relationship with God back then
seems to find a connection to Israel one way or the other. But with respect
to other nations relationship to Israel, they had to respect Israel as God's
elect nation, as well as, their destiny as God's people."  You then quoted
quite a number of instructions GIVEN TO ISRAEL relative to stranger or
foreigners LIVING AMONGST THE ISRAELITES!

But brother, I am talking about those of other nations who (as far as we
know) had no contact or interaction at all with Israel!  God had personal
dealings and revealed Himself to Adam, to Cain, to Seth, to Noah, to Abram
etc long before Israel ever existed!  Then after He had chosen a family and
a people to Himself, He revealed Himself to Job, to the Magi etc apart from
any indication that they had any contact with Israel, with their prophets or
their scriptures! And yet it is clear that Job had volumes of God's truth
revealed to him which is in perfect agreement with the scriptures of the
Hebrew prophets!

So I cannot at all agree with you in your statement:"If individuals wanted a
relationship with God, they formerly had to come through the covenant nation
of Israel."   Scripture never teaches such an idea nor does it even infer
it.

This idea, as well as the one that "water baptism has nothing to do with
belivere today" are the results of a similar approach to scripture as that
taken by Robert Anderson, i.e. coming to scripture with a pre-supposition
never stated in scripture and seeking to prove such a presupposition by
dishonest dealings with what scripture actually SAYS!  The presuppositions
that require such dishonest dealings with the Word of God are the very
tenets of dispensationalism which are never taught in scripture! If one
purposes to teach what scripture SAYS, they would never teach what is
commonly referred to as "dispensational truth"!   If it is the truth, it
will be SCRIPTURAL TRUTH STATED IN THE VERY WORDS OF SCRIPTURE.

Your brother in Christ,
Bruce