House Church Talk - authority

David Anderson david at housechurch.org
Wed Apr 7 13:18:03 EDT 2004

    Hi all,

I was discussing church authority on another list. Some of this may be of
interest to you...

Onesimus was exhorted by Paul to return and continue under the authority
of his master, Philemon. Here is another example of authority outside the
church, albeit in a Christian context. Inside the church, slaves and
masters stood side by side as co-equals - brothers in Christ. Philemon,
btw, was part of a house church:

1: ¶ Paul, a prisoner of Jesus Christ, and Timothy our brother, unto
Philemon our dearly beloved, and fellowlabourer,
2  And to our beloved Apphia, and Archippus our fellowsoldier, and to the
church in thy house:

I come from a Presbyterian background. Presbyterians take much pride in
their system of church courts. They have a local Session, a regional
Presbytery, and a national body sometimes referred to as the General
Assembly. Years ago, I actually had to point out to another Presbie
minister that the disciplinary process in Mat thew 18 did not require a
group of elders - much less these other courts:

Matt. 18:15-17 Moreover if thy brother shall trespass against thee, go
and tell him his fault between thee and him alone: if he shall hear thee,
thou hast gained thy brother. But if he will not hear thee, then take
with thee one or two more, that in the mouth of two or three witnesses
every word may be established. And if he shall neglect to hear them, tell
it unto the church: but if he neglect to hear the church, let him be unto
thee as an heathen man and a publican.

Several years ago, I preached at a small Presbie church in the Bristol,
VA area. The church doors are now padlocked and the paint is peeling
away. Why? Because none of the members or even the officers had the
"authority" to preach or administer the sacraments. Funny, those who
believe that they are authorized to do such things also believe that they
should be paid for these services. In this case, the money had dried up.

Another point of interest: Over the years, I noticed that among the
ministers in our Presbytery, that those who were called to another church
were almost always called to a larger church. I am sure there must have
been an occasional exception somewhere but this was definitely the
pattern.

      David Anderson