House Church Talk - the last recorded words of Jesus

Dan Beaty dlbeaty at copper.net
Wed Apr 7 23:46:27 EDT 2004

Ross,

You make a valid point in that the context must be taken into consideration
when looking at the commands of Jesus, or any other subject in the
scriptures.

There are many cases, however, where a careful comparison of the Lord's
teachings, and those of His apostles would clearly show which things are
extended to all those who know and love Him.

Differing opinions obviously exist concerning which ones are applicable to
everyone, and which are limited to the generation of the First Century.

If Jesus was telling only those present to "teach all nations, baptizing
them," it would seem a tremendous challenge to them alone. Thankfully,
others and following generations did take up the "baton" and carry the
Gospel to people like you and me.

Acts 2:39  "For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all
that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call."

John 17:20  "Neither pray I for these alone, but for them also which shall
believe on me through their word;"

What a comfort to know that we are included in the scope of the Gospel of
the Kingdom, and in Jesus' prayer!

Dan Beaty