House Church Talk - Re: Baptisms and Administrations

Bruce Woodford bwood4d at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 9 01:23:18 EDT 2004

Dear Ross,

In spite of all the historical data you've given about the POSSIBILITIES of
contact between the magi and Jews in countries to the east, there is nothing
mentioned in the record of Mat thew 2 that suggests that any revelation they
had received prior to their journey was received FROM JEWS!!!  This is what
I've been maintaining, i.e. that God never restricted Himself to revealing
Himself ONLY THROUGH ISRAELITES!

Do you know anything in the old testament scriptures that would have
indicated that a special star was an indication of the coming of a Jewish
king who was to be worshipped?? If there is such information which Jewish
people could have shown the magi, you might have a case. But if not, must
you not concede that God had revealed this to the magi apart from contact
with Israelites?

Brother, re. your attempts to exempt believers today from the commands of
the Lord Jesus to the disciples, you have cited one example, Matt.23:1-3. Of
course we are not bound today to observe whatever the scribes and Pharisees
bid us to!  The reason why that does not apply to us today, but did to the
disciples to whom it was spoken is because of the very reason why that
command was given!  "The scribes and Pharisees sit in Moses' seat: all
therefore whatsoever they bid tyou observe, that observe and do..."

The old covenant  (the Ten Commandments given by Moses) was still then in
force for Israel, but has long since decayed, waxed old and vanished away.
(Heb.8:13)  Besides, I've never even met a scribe or a Pharisee, have never
been instructed by them to do anything, so how could such ever apply to
me???

However, you have never adequately answered the question of how the
disciples were to determine when the "end of the age" of which the Lord
Jesus spoke in Matt.24 and 28 had come and thus when their commission would
expire!  The Lord Jesus clearly described the events in Matt.24 which would
precede the end of the age of which He spoke.

Now brother, do you honestly believe that the gospel of the kingdom was
preached IN ALL THE WORLD for a testimony TO ALL NATIONS  (Matt.24:14)during
the lifetime of the apostle Paul???  Almost all of the 12 died martyrs'
deaths as they moved out among the nations with that purpose in view!  That
task has yet to be completed! So how can you say that the end of that age
ended during the ministry of Paul??

If I am hearing you correctly, you do not believe we have any
responsibility...
- to preach the Gospel to the nations,
- to pray in the name of the Lord Jesus,
- to break bread in remembrance of Him,
- to follow His instructions like:
..."ye shall not be so: but he that is greatest among you, let him be as the
younger; and he that is chief, as he that doth serve." Luke 22:26
...."A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have
loved you, that ye also love one another.  By this shall all men know that
ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another." John 13:34,35

Is it really this kind of thing that you actually believe, brother???

If your brother offends you, what do you see as you responsibility if
Matt.18:15-17 has no applicability to you today?

If a brother or sister in the company with which you gather is guilty of
fornication, how do you deal with the situation if I Cor.5 has no
application to your gathering today?

Do you actually believe that the only commands for which we are responsible
are those found in the pastoral epistles????

Re. the commission of Matt.28 you wrote: "He was talking to the apostles of
Israel. Why did He not give the apostle to the nations the same prescription
if it is to be still followed? I am sure the statement was perfectly clear
to those to whom it was made. It is just as clear to me that to follow the
above instruction does not make any more sense to me than to build an ark."

Dear brother, if Paul was not instructed by God to baptize, why did He do
so??  In what specifics do you see that Paul's commission was different from
that of Matt.28?
Noah's commission was given to him alone and he was never instructed to
teach others to do what he was commanded! But the Lord's disciples certainly
were!

You wrote:"There is no New Covenant responsibility today. But  there will be
when Israel is restored in the future. "

Brother Ross, what new covenant responsibilities do you understand will be
incumbent upon future restored Israel? Do not all the responsibilities of
the new covenant rest upon God alone?  The old covenant placed 10
responsibilities squarely on the shoulders of the Israelites which they
promised the Lord they would do. But are not all the terms of the new
covenant promises which GOD has promised to fulfill?

You had also written:"Since Israel has not  properly accepted Messiah, there
is yet to be an actual (legal?)  implementation of the New Covenant. Neither
Israel nor the nations are under  the New Covenant now."

If this is so, how could God have written the new covenant in the hearts of
Gentile believers at Corinth as Paul testified in II Cor.3????  This was a
fact, even though Israel as a nation was in rebellion against God!!!

Ross, you wrote:"Bruce, you were the one who said man had a New Covenant
responsibility."  The statement of mine from which you have drawn that
conclusion was the following: "But the subject of our discussion (the
baptism of believers in water) a baptism which is commanded and which is the
responsibility of men under the new covenant is the one upon which we do not
seem to agree."

A new covenant responsibility would be one that was included in the very
statement of the new covenant, just as an old covenant responsibility would
be one of the ten commandments which comprised the old covenant.  But just
as people under the old covenant also had many responsibilities OTHER THAN
THOSE STATED IN THAT COVENANT, so too people who are under the new covenant
are under a covenant for which God takes all the responsibility! However,
new covenant believers do have responsibilties, but they are NOT
responsibilties which are part and parcel of the new covenant!  The new
covenant consists of 7 promises which God says He will fulfil. Not one of
them is a responsibility of any man!  But until the end of the age (i.e.
until the Gospel of the kingdom has been preached in all the world and to
all nations) believers/disiples of the Lord Jesus are to be commanded to be
baptized!

Re. Robert Anderson and my comments about him: I was simply speaking about
him, his approach to scripture and his handling of scripture in his one
book, "The Coming Prince".  I was not charging all dispensationalists with
the specific errors of Anderson. But what I do charge most
dispensationalists with is the same error as most "covenant theologians"!
Just as covenant theologians see covenants in scripture which aren't there
(the covenant of works and the covenant of grace) so too dispensationalists
identify many dispensations which are absent from the pages of scripture.

In this regard, brother Ross, would you list all the dispensations in which
you believe? Are they all spoken of in scripture? If not,  how could you
possibly reprove a covenant therologian for teaching "covenants" that are
nowhere found in scripture???  How could you reprove them for teaching
infant baptism which also is never found in the book? How could you reprove
a Roman Catholic for embracing the doctrine of purgatory?  In other words,
if your doctrines cannot be stated in the words of scripture, what
consistent and objective basis do you have to challenge or disregard the
doctrines of others which also cannot be stated in the very words of
scripture?

BTW, I think you assured me some time ago that your doctrines could all be
stated in the words of scripture and that in due time you would show such
statements. Do you still plan to do so? If so, When?

If, as you claim, II Tim.2:15 applies to you today... and since you claim to
be rightly dividing the Word of truth, what is the dispensation that
preceded "Paul's turning to the Gentiles"? When did this preceding
dispensation begin? What is the dispensation that follows it? How long
did/does it last?  From what scriptures do you derive this information?  If
you are truly rightly dividing the Word of truth, you will have no
difficulty answering these questions with specific statements of scripture.
But if you are rather following the deductions and conclusions of men (as do
those who teach the covenants of works and grace, infant baptism, purgatory,
a seven ear tribulation, the imminent return of Christ, or a pre-tribulation
rapture of the church etc) you will simply not be able to show your
doctrines stated in the words of scripture!

It is for such reasons that I maintain that doctrines which are stated in
the pure words of scripture (Ps.12:6), which can be stated without adding to
the pure words of scripture (Prov.30:5,6) and which are stated in words
which the Holy Ghost teaches and not in words which man's wisdom teaches are
those which are truly scriptural.

Very few "dispensational doctrines" of which I am aware seem to pass such
basic tests. So this is my main objection to the whole dispensational system
regardless of the wide variety of variations among dispensationalists
themselves. So that we need not associate YOUR beliefs with those of any
other dispensationalist, would you consider stating your personal view of
the dispensational scheme that YOU understand to be in accordance with
scripture? How many dispensations do you see? What are they? How do you
determine when one dispensation ends and another one begins?

If you can truly demonstrate your beliefs by scriptural statements, you will
most assuredly convert me to your dispensational view of the scriptures, but
if not, I see no value in seeking to confrom scripture to such a contrived
mold.
Your brother in Christ,
Bruce