House Church Talk - THE CHOSEN VESSEL

Bruce Woodford bwood4d at hotmail.com
Sun Apr 11 12:33:57 EDT 2004

Dear brother David,

Thanks so much for sending out "The Chosen Vessel" poem!  I'd seen it
before, but thanks for the reminder.

You know, I believe it is an excellent illustration or commentary on the
scriptural doctrine of divine election or  God's choice!

Many have been taught that God's election is unconditional.  But if you
really think about it, it is absolutely impossible for God or man to make an
unconditional choice!  Every choice is  CONDITIONED BY THE PURPOSE(S) FOR
WHICH IT IS MADE!

If I am choosing something to wear, I cannot make an unconditional choice
and choose geometry, or a cadillac or southern fried chicken!   No, the
purposes of the choice set the conditions: thus modesty, the temperature and
weather conditions, the tasks that I intend to fulfill, the people I intend
to serve etc impose many conditions on my choice of what to wear.

When God elected/chose His perfect servant (Isaiah 42:1) , the purpose of
that choice placed many conditions that restricted that choice to only one
man in all the universe!

That servant had to - delight the soul of God v.1
                            - bring forth judgment to the Gentiles v.1
                            - be one who would not cry or lift up His voice
to be heard in the street v.2
                            - be one who would not break a bruised reed v.3
                            - be one who would not quench the smoking flax
v.3
                            - bring forth judgment unto truth v.3
                            - be without failure v.4
                            - withstand discouragement v.4
                            - set judgment in the earth so that the islands
woul;d wait for his law v.4
                            - be righteous v.6
                            - be a light to the Gentiles v.6
                            - be able to open blind eyes v.7
                            - redeem prsoners from bondage v.7
                            -be one who would not rob God of glory or
praise. v.8

In like manner, when God chose to save people from their sins, His very
purpose to save sinners, His purpose that all things were created for His
pleasure (Rev.4:11) and His purpose that no flesh should glory in His
presence (I Cor 1:29) placed many conditions upon His choice!

Those whom God chooses to save must ALL meet the following conditions:
-They must become humble to receive His grace. James 4:6
-They must believe the foolishness of the preaching of the Gospel. I
Cor.1:21
-They must be foolish so God, by them may confound the wise. I Cor.1:27
-They must be weak so God by them can confound the mighty. I Cor.1:27
-They must be base, despised, "nobodies" so God can bring to nothing those
who are high and mighty. I Cor.1:28

God never has and never will save anyone who is proud, who thinks they are
too wise to believe the foolishness of preaching, who thinks they are mighty
etc!  He does not save "the cream of the crop", but rather the "scum at the
bottom of the barrel"!

"For the love of Christ constraineth us;  because we thus judge,  that if
one died for all, then were all dead: and that He died for all, that they
which live should not henceforth live unto themselves, but unto Him which
died for them and rose again."  II Cor.5:14

"Thank you, Lord, for saving my soul!
Thank you, Lord, for making me whole!
Thank you, Lord, for giving to me
Thy great salvation so rich and FREE!"