House Church Talk - Two Kinds of church meetings

Bruce Woodford bwood4d at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 20 01:33:09 EDT 2004

Hi David M,

In the conferences thread you made some interesting comments about various
kinds of church meetings with which I wholeheartedly agree.

You wrote:"The way I read my Bible, the early Christians did not have ONLY
home church.  Yes, the Bible says they met daily from house to house, but it
also says they met in the Temple on a daily basis too.  I fully expect that
some of those meetings in the Temple had larger crowds and speakers giving
monologues.  The early Christians also met in synagogues once a week, which
was very much structured, yet not so structured as our modern Christian
institutions, because there often was room for believers to discuss Christ
and minister Christ right there in the synagogue."

It is my conviction that house church gatherings are where interactive,
participatory, one anothering, conversational ministry is to take place. It
is in such gatherings that men and women are to participate and minister to
one another and where bread is to be broken and meals eaten together. I
believe that the principles of Heb.10:24,25 are to regulate these kinds of
meetings. Some examples of such gatherings are found in Acts 1:13-2:4;
2:46b; 5:42b; 12:12-17; 16:34; 18:26; 20:7-11; 21:8-14.
Notice that it is in such gatherings that women took an active and vocal
part and that in many of these gatherings meals were eaten together. In such
gatherings as well as any other occasion when women pray or prophesy, they
should cover their heads.  In any church gathering as well as any time men
pray or prophesy, they should have their heads uncovered. (I Cor.11:1-16)

It is also my conviction that  "I Cor.14 gatherings"  are much larger, city
wide gatherings which take place in venues much larger than a home. In such
gatherings there is one speaker at a time, monologue addresses which are to
edify everyone present, where males are to be the speakers and are to let
their women keep silence. It is in such gatherings that there is to be no
speaking in tongues unless there is an interpretter present who interprets
any tongues speaking so that all may be edified. It is in such gatherings
that tongues speakers are to speak one at a time, and where prophets are to
speak but also to cease speaking when something is revealed to another
prophet who is sitting by. I believe that the principles of I Cor 14:23-40
are to regulate these gatherings of "the whole church come together into one
place"  (14:23)   Some examples of this kind of gathering are found in Acts
2:46a; 5:42a; 6:2:-6; 14:27;  15:4-29.  Notice that in NONE of these
gatherings was breaking of bread or vocal participation of women "on the
agenda".

But when believers went into the synagogues, it was not for church meetings,
but rather for the purpose of evangelizing in a place where unbelievers
normally gathered! Some examples of such gospel outreach in the synagogues
are the following: Acts 13:14-42; 14:1; 17:1-17; 18:4,19,26; 19:8 etc.

Your brother in Christ,
Bruce