House Church Talk - Re: House Church Talk Digest, Vol 3, Issue 116

Dan Beaty dlbeaty at copper.net
Fri Apr 23 23:51:26 EDT 2004

Claire,

If Jonathan believes that a husband is disobeying the Word of God if his
wife works for an employer, then I would have to disagree. In fact, my wife
has with my approval worked for the public school system, and also a support
community for the handicaped.

In both cases, we felt she represented the Lord and served His Kingdom in
the process. Sometimes, I have to admit in the latter case it seemed
slavish. But Paul had some encouraging things to say to even the literal
slaves of his day.

You may or may not have better knowledge of Jonathan's beliefs than I do.
But I want to say that he recently spent some time with close friends of
mine in the Lord in India. Most have different views on these subjects than
Jonathan, but the report I recieved from them was positive.

>From what I gather, he mostly shared on New Testament Church life, things
which those attending the meetings desired.

His teaching at last years conference was encouraging to me. There was not a
hint of legalism IMO. I felt it presented an excellent balance between the
extreme ends of both charismatic and fundamentalist groups, showing that the
Spirit AND the Word are equally important in our lives.

Having said this, I might have a more negative impression if I only knew
Jonathan via his web site. That is precisely why I was eager to meet him in
person when the opportunity came several years ago. The policy I try to
follow is to judge teachings when I find them to be harmful, but to reserve
judgment on the individual's motives for a relatively longer time.

Dan B.