House Church Talk - harvest is great - laborers few

David Anderson david at housechurch.org
Sun Apr 25 11:30:37 EDT 2004

RE: The harvest is great - laborers few OR the superiority of a heavenly
crown.

      ------------------------

When boxer Riddick Bowe gave up his career to join the Marines a few
years ago, he quit after eight days, saying he didn't want to give up his
individuality. Earlier this month, Tiger Woods' commitment was half that
long. He made news by going through four days of military training.

Meanwhile, of course, real soldiers served anonymously in real conflicts
in Iraq and Afghanistan.

On Thursday night, former Arizona Cardinals safety Pat Tillman was killed
in a firefight while on combat patrol in Afghanistan. He was 27. In May
2002, he passed on a three-year, $3.6 million offer to play football,
instead signing for three years in the Army at $18,000 a year. He joined
the elite Army Rangers, who serve as commandos striking behind enemy
lines.

Now he's being heralded an American hero. In a time when our athletes are
pampered and individualistic, Tillman gave it all up to fight for his
country. What other athlete would ever have done such a thing?

Here are a few: Bob Feller. Warren Spahn. Ted Williams. They are all
superstar baseball players from the past.

http://www.suntimes.com/output/sports/cst-nws-tillman25.html

1 Cor. 9:24-25 Know ye not that they which run in a race run all, but one
receiveth the prize? So run, that ye may obtain. And every man that
striveth for the mastery is temperate in all things. Now they do it to
obtain a corruptible crown; but we an incorruptible.

Matt. 19:29 And every one that hath forsaken houses, or brethren, or
sisters, or father, or mother, or wife, or children, or lands, for my
name¹s sake, shall receive an hundredfold, and shall inherit everlasting
life.

So, let us draw courage from excellence, wherever it is to be found.

      David Anderson