House Church Talk - Look who Jesus Chose

Dan Beaty dlbeaty at copper.net
Mon Apr 26 01:06:49 EDT 2004

Bruce,

Using your logic, then Paul rarely addressed the females in any church, as
he in most every case I have found, the same Greek word was used  "adelphos"
for brethren.

That would mean, that when Paul wrote, "Finally, my brethren, be strong in
the Lord, and in the power of his might," then only the men were to be
strong, putting on the whole armor of God, praying always with all prayer
and supplication with all the saints. etc etc etc

Maybe I am a bit naive, but I have always understood the brotherhood in
Christ to include both men and women, for we are all sons of God through
Jesus Christ.

Of course perhaps some would argue that only the men who are led by the
Spirit of God are the sons of God. And maybe the creation is waiting eagerly
for only the male children of God to be revealed?

It is not that I am attempting to neutralize all gender-specific language in
the Scripture, or deny that there are any role distinctions involved. But I
have done some research into how words were used in the NT.

Dan Beaty