House Church Talk - Re: House Church Talk Digest, Vol 3, Issue 121

Claire Bennett clairebnntt at cox.net
Tue Apr 27 12:26:28 EDT 2004

Thanks Bruce.  Looking at scripture and looking at what I saw and back to
scripture, asking questions and being stonewalled is what led me to
housechurch.  Yes, women were the first sent ones, an angel of the Lord told
them to teach men!  They gave men instructions!
@housechurch.org

> When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
> than "Re: Contents of House Church Talk  digest..."
>
> > Good points being made...  Yes I believe what you say is correct...
>
> and what about the first Christian "sent ones"?
>
> Matt 28:5-7
> 5 The angel said to the women, "Do not be afraid, for I know that you are
> looking for Jesus, who was crucified. 6 He is not here; he has risen, just
> as he said. Come and see the place where he lay. 7 Then go quickly and
tell
> his disciples: 'He has risen from the dead and is going ahead of you into
> Galilee. There you will see him.' Now I have told you."
> NIV
>
> Sorry they were met w/ the stalwarts skepticism...
>
> Sadder yet, still being met today w/ similar doubts, by comparable
brothers,
> of the Sister's valid and heavenly prescribed ministries...
>
> JimP - kentucky

Greek
> word was used "adelphos" for brethren. That would mean, that when Paul
> wrote, "Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord, and in the power of
his
> might," then only the men were to be strong, putting on the whole armor of
> God, praying always with all prayer and supplication with all the saints."
>
> You have raised an excellent and thoughtful question which I knew would be
> asked after I wrote that last post, and it deserves a thoughtful answer.
(I
> hope you will be willing to pardon the length of the following!)
>
> Let's deal first with the good example you have quoted from Ephesians 6.
> Does the fact that Paul addresses "the brothers" mean that the sisters are
> excluded from the application of the instructions given?  Not at all!
> According to the text, who was to be praying with all prayer and
> supplication?  Brethren were!  But they were to be doing it "with all the
> saints"!!  All the saints certainly includes the sisters as welll!   Then
by
> extension we may also ask, "Who was to be strong in the Lord and putting
on
> the whole armor of God??   The brethren were! But they were to be doing it
> "with all the saints"!   So we see that when males are the particular
> addressees of certain instructions, it does NOT mean that sisters are
> excluded from the application of those instructions, have nothing to learn
> from those instructions or that the instructions do not apply to them at
> all!
>
> Rather this mode of address, i.e. "brethren", or "men (literally males)
and
> brethren"  as in Acts 1:16
> 2:29 ; 13:26,38;  and 15:7,13  did not mean that no women were present,
that
> the speakers were rudely ignoring the women who were there or that what
they
> said had nothing whatsoever to do with women!  Rather, that males had the
> PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITY to respond to what was being said!
>
> Let us consider some other examples:
> In I Timothy 2 there are some clear instructions to men (males) and
> women(females).  In verse 8, Paul writes:" I will therefore that men
(MALES
> ) pray everywhere, lifting up holy hands without wrath and doubting."
Does
> this mean that women are NOT to pray everywhere?  Does this mean that it
is
> alright for women to pray without holy hands, or that it is alright if
women
> pray WITH wrath and doubting???   Of course not!!!   But the PRIMARY
> RESPONSIBILITY for this instruction lies upon the males!
>
> Let us go on to verses 9-11 where the women (females) are addressed. Do
> these verses mean that men are excluded from obedience to these
> instructions?  Is it proper for males to be adorned in immodest apparel??
> with braided hair??  with gold, pearls or costly array???  Is it proper
for
> males NOT to be adorned with good works??  Of course not!  But the PRIMARY
> RESPONSIBILITY for this instruction lies upon the sisters.
>
> When women are instructed to learn in silence (literally quietness) with
all
> subjection, does this mean that this instruction has nothing to do with
men
> and that they should be noisy and boisterous and disruptive when another
is
> teaching??   Of course not!!!  Simply that the PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITY for
> this instruction lies upon the sisters.
>
> Verse 12 is a very poor translation! "Usurp authority over" is translated
> from one Greek word "AUTHENTEO" which is the Greek word from which we get
> our English "authentic"! It  is a compound word comprised of two other
> words: AUTOS or "self" and HENTES  "a worker".   It thus means "to act or
> work of one's self".   When Paul wrote, "I suffer not a woman to teach or
> act of herself in relation to a man", does this mean that it is perfectly
> normal and commendable for men to teach and work  OF THEMSELVES, i.e,.
that
> their teachings and their works OUGHT TO BE
> SELF INITIATED???  Of course not!!! It simply means that the primary
> responsibility for obedience to this instruction lies upon sisters
relative
> to their teaching and actions towards men!
>
> An excellent example of this very point is found in the life and testimony
> of the Lord Jesus, the very Son of God, Himself. See His own words in John
> 5:19,20: "Then answered Jesus and said unto them, Verily, verily, I say
unto
> you, The Son CAN DO NOTHING OF HIMSELF, but what he seeth the Father do:
for
> what things soever he doeth, these also doeth the Son likewise. For the
> Father loveth the Son, and sheweth him all things that  himself doeth: and
> he will  shew him greater works than these, that ye may marvel."
>
> It was brother Henry Blackaby who first brought the truth of this
scripture
> to my attention. In his very excellent study series, "Experincing God:
> Knowing and doing the will of God", Henry pointed out that even the Son of
> God, the Lord  Jesus,  NEVER EVER initiated anything of Himself!!!
Rather,