House Church Talk - asleep in church?

Claire Bennett clairebnntt at cox.net
Sun Aug 1 13:41:19 EDT 2004

Some here mentioned the turning off of the brain during IC services.  I wanted to comment on that.  From some research I have done, it appears that churches, evangelistic meetings, etc., either purposefully or ignorantly practice hypnosis and trance induction.

Start with the soft, lulling repetitive choruses.  The speakers intone using a hypnotic rhythm.  At the end, a rousing song to end the trance and bring in the next showing.

Let's compare this with the early church and the synagogue.  In both there was much interaction and checks and balances.  Teachers and prophecy were judged.  Paul explained that he spoke not with clever words, that was Greek style, but with demonstration of the Spirit's power.

I would suggest that in meetings that singing take place at the end, rather than the beginning.