House Church Talk - Why we gather

jim sutton goodword at bresnan.net
Mon Aug 2 10:00:35 EDT 2004

Why do we gather for worship and fellowship as hc?

I've been pondering the things I've observed -- especially lately -- among
believers.  And I notice that we in the hc can be tempted, just as anyone
else, to neglect the very best reasons for gathering as we do.  We may also
bring into our gatherings and attempts at fellowship something that does not
belong.

Some in the hc have learned that they can avoid facing their own problems by
deflecting the attention of the group away to a "common enemy" -- the ic.  If
anything gets near to exposing their hearts, or touching their lives for good,
they imeediately start beating the old "ic" drum.  If anyone says something
they don't like, they denounce it as being "ic" in character.

In some cases, the ic is obviously being used as a straw man.  Politicians
learned long ago how to use a common enemy to keep people together and to
divert attention from the real problems closer to home.  The Soviets tried to
keep the "revolution" going for over 70 years.

We don't want to play anything like this in our own Christian fellowships.  In
hc we don't meet because of, or even around the topic of' the ic.  We meet
because we're followers of Jesus Christ.  He's real the center of our lives,
our gatherings, our times of fellowship and sharing as believers.

Our function as believers is to glorify the Lord Jesus, to worship Him, and to
encourage and "build up" the body.  Our lives, and certainly our times of
gathering with other believers, should be centered on Jesus Christ Himself.

Yes, many in the hc fellowships have had some bad, maybe even strange and
traumatic experiences with ic groups, ic organizations, ic preachers, etc.
 And so we're very likely going to talk about those times, and we should work
together, as the Lord leads us, to make sure that such things are not repeated
in the hc groups we meet with.  Let no one be crushed by our attempts to hold
a status quo.

But the ic should not be the central focus of our talk, our fellowship, our
meetings.

I like the Scripture in Mark, chapter 3, where the Lord's mother and siblings
came looking for Him.  Word gets through the crowd to Jesus that His family is
outside.  Mark says, "And He looked around in a circle at those who sat about
Him, and said, 'Here are My mother and My brothers!'"  (Mark 3:34)

Jesus was in the center of that meeting which filled the house to overflowing.
 As He turned, all the way around, the people were all gathered there to see
Him and to hear Him.  All of them centered their attention on Him.  Isn't that
how any ic gathering should be?

Yes, those people all had problems.  And some had been terribly abused by the
religious system then in place.  Many could tell horror stories about Scribes,
and Pharisees, and Sadducees who had wronged poor widows, or who had driven
innocent Jews out from their synagogues for political or even personal
reasons.  But as our Lord Jesus turned all the way around, all their eyes and
ears were on Him.

Any root of bitterness that we have in our hearts toward other believers -- or
even toward unbelieving religious leaders -- in the ic need to be forgiven and
dropped at the feet of our Lord Jesus.  If we do not let go of it, it will
continue its deadly work of destroying our own lives and hearts.

If we blame all our unhappiness, our anger, our frustrations in life on the ic
today, then we avoid facing the real problem, the real root of our troubles --
our own tendency to sin against God, against other people, and even against
the working of the Holy Spirit in our own lives.  And if we do not grow in
God's grace, if we continually resist the Holy Spirit, then we will someday be
blaming our unhappiness on the people we now gather with.

We are warned in the NT letter to the Hebrews to beware the root of bitterness
(Heb 12:15).  And that root is our own unbelief, our own sinful condition when
we resist God's grace -- yes, even as believers.  And if allowed to remain in
us, unexposed, it will destroy us and any real fellowship we ever hope to
enjoy with other believers.

Ecclesiastes 9:18 says: "Wisdom is better than weapons of war; but one sinner
destroys much good."  One who will not let go of his bitterness can trouble
and even ruin an entire fellowship, if we allow that single root to remain in
us and grow.  Best always to admit the problem, face it, deal with it, and be
free to live on and rejoice.

Jesus should be the "why" in all areas of our lives as believers -- especially
the "why" that we gather together and share with each other.  Let's always
keep Him the center of our attention, both as a group and as individual
believers.

Let's imitate the people in that crowded little house who were all gathered --
not around their problems, and not around talk of what others had wrongly done
to them, but around the Lord Jesus Himself.  They were there to hear Him (Luke
8:21) and to have their lives transformed by His healing touch, His awesome
Presence, His true and faithful Word.

Jim