House Church Talk - death in the posts -- I mean pots...

jim sutton goodword at bresnan.net
Sun Aug 29 09:19:43 EDT 2004

Poison among the prophets?

The Bible says:

When Elisha returned to Gilgal, there was a famine in the land. As the company
of prophets was sitting before him, he said to his servant, "Put the large pot
on, and make some stew for the company of prophets."

One of them went out into the field to gather herbs; he found a wild vine and
gathered from it a lapful of wild gourds, and came and cut them up into the
pot of stew, not knowing what they were.  They served some for the men to eat.

But while they were eating the stew, they cried out, "O man of God, there is
death in the pot!" They could not eat it.   (2 Kings 4:38-40)
. . . .

This story ends ends with Elisha throwing some flour into the post.  I wonder
if the flour is related in some way to the Bread of Life?  Wasn't flour used
for something in the sacrifices?

Anyone have any ideas on this?

Jim