House Church Talk - inclination toward ceremonial

Bruce Woodford bwood4d at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 31 03:08:32 EDT 2004

Hi Dan,

You wrote:
>While I doubt that Jesus intended us to develop a ceremony of foot washing,
>I have seen the value of this ceremony from my younger days. There is
>something about getting down on your hands and knees and washing anothers
>feet which can really touch both the giver and receiver. If am am truly
>willing to humble myself in this way, there is a chance that other
>opportunities to serve will not be as easily missed.

While I don't thibnk we should ever make a ritual out of foot washing, I
certainly don't rule out washing others' feet nor do I dispute the value of
such an action.

To make a ritual out of it is to totally remove the real need of
footwashing!  I doubt if any who practice the ritual go to a "footwashing
service" with dirty smelly feet, dirty socks etc!

But it is precisely in such situations where the reral footwashing would
derive it's value and perform a needed service.

Your brother in Christ,
Bruce