House Church Talk - inclination toward ceremonial

Sean Kelly seank at microsoft.com
Tue Aug 31 11:58:24 EDT 2004

Brad Cork wrote:
>Another thought... Jesus is not as concerned with what we do as
>he is with what we are... We tend to try and create ceremonies
>and rules to show us how we ought to live but these take our
>focus further away from God... when in reality God wants us to
>walk in the Spirit.. to be focussed on him... if we do that we
>will then automatically fulfil all the requirements of the
>law... I think we have it back the front... let's follow Paul's
>example in Galatians 5:16 and keep in step with the spirit for
>then we will truly know God and by consequence will also fulfil
>the requirements of the law.

Amen Brad, as Bruce pointed out this was something the servants
usually did. Not one of the disciples had thought to do it. Jesus
had just had His triumphal entry. The Kingdom was at hand. The
disciples were continuously jockeying for position (Mat thew 18:1,
Mat thew 20:21, Mark 9:34, Luke 9:46, Luke 22:24) clearly ignoring
Jesus' teaching (Mat thew 23:11, Luke 22:26) He had to do something
that would drive home what he meant. If we are walking the Spirit
we will not carry out the desire of the flesh.

Go Carefully,
SeanK