House Church Talk - "The Passion"

David Anderson david at housechurch.org
Sun Feb 22 21:37:34 EST 2004

Thanks, Janet, for your recommendation of "The Passion" on this day of
sharing. What a joy to see believers using their talents and resources
for the Lord.

And guess what? Churches in our town are buying up tickets for entire
theaters that anyone may view the film. Praise his name.

In contrast to Mel Gibson are entertainers like Bob Dylan, who privately
admitted to writing protest songs just for the money. And to think that I
used to write my term papers about him...

She (Joan Baez) first came to attention at the age of 18 when she stole
everyone's heart at the Newport folk festival with her pure soprano voice
in 1959. Her first album was released the following year, so that when a
grubby, unknown Woody Guthrie wannabe called Bob Dylan arrived in New
York's Greenwich Village in 1961, Baez was already an established star.
She became Dylan's mentor, introducing him as her guest at numerous
concerts, including his own Newport debut in 1963.

For a brief but magical few months, which to her irritation are still the
first thing interviewers ask her about to this day, Baez and Dylan were
the king and queen of the folk movement. There was talk of marriage and
babies. According to Baez, they even discussed children's names. But by
1965, with Dylan's fame exploding, they had grown apart emotionally and
artistically. He embraced rock 'n' roll and told her he had only ever
written protest songs because there was money in it.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/arts/features/story/0,11710,1029819,00.html

I'm still upgrading here, lookin for drivers, and squashing bugs. Hope to
join back in soon.

     David Anderson