House Church Talk - Tithing in Home Church

Dan Beaty dlbeaty at copper.net
Fri Jan 9 12:17:32 EST 2004

Glenn,

Thanks for the comments:

> Hi Dan,
>
> Personally I find no real footing for a "Tithe" in the church. I see
> freewill giving as the pattern... But I realize that is not your point.
>
> You asked what is the lesson God is trying to point out in OT tithing.
>
> Personally I think it is equivalent to us rightfully paying taxes today to
> the government... Knowing that it is our duty and command to contribute to
> the support of the community - to honor the king.

This makes sense to me also. But I might add that Israel was obligated to
both the Levitical order and to the government. The entire nation was
separated unto God. The lesson that you have drawn does find support in the
teachings of Jesus, Peter and Paul, whereas none of them to my knowledge
taught tithing to the church building, or to the pastors and preachers.

Still, I am wondering if there could be a NT counterpart to the storehouse
mentioned, or even a deeper meaning for us.

Rick,

Thanks for sharing your encouraging stories. The methods often used for
collecting money in churches bother me too. What I am against mainly it is
the exalting of a particular class of people in "ministry," so the rest of
us can be "the laity." This concept denies many of their function in the
Body of Christ, and often overburdens those who have been "set aside" for
service.

Individual giving "as the Lord leads" seems to be working fine for us. But I
believe there is a dimension of community life where corporate sharing can
be very healthy and beneficial. When everyone agrees to a certain cause,
prayerfully collecting resources and distributing them together, a strong
and satisfying bond of unity can be formed. I have experienced this in the
past.

Dan Beaty