House Church Talk - Health Insurance

Bruce Woodford bwood4d at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 20 21:24:26 EST 2004

David wrote:
>I know I might get ragged on for saying this, but it is exactly this
>attitude why I refuse to get health insurance for my family of seven.
>When we begin to look to hospitals and doctors as our source of strength
>and health, something is wrong.  We should be looking to Jesus for
>everything.  Jesus is our Creator.  He made our bodies and he can fix
>them.  I have nothing against a doctor helping the body if he is able,
>but I have a whole lot against those who trust in doctors and hospitals
>as if they are the only source of health for us."

I too have chosen not to have health insurance even though, here in Canada,
every province has it's own health insurance program made available freely
to every resident in the province.  I've actually chosen to get out of this
system twice!

OHIP (Ontario Health Insurance Plan) used to be funded by employers.
Employers paid most and employees paid about 20% through payroll deductions.
If you worked for an employer who had 15 or more employees, you had to be
part of the system. During the summer of 1985, while on holidays, I learned
that OHIP funded all abortions done in Ontario hospitals! The Lord had just
been impressing Proverbs 1:10-19 on my heart just before I learned these
facts, so I had no choice! I immediately called my employer and informed him
that I was resigning and explained that I could not in good conscience have
another penny contributed in my name to a plan ( a common purse) which
funded the murder of babies!

I had a wife, 5 children, rent and utilities to pay etc but now I had no job
and no health insurance! Many of our Christian friends thought I was very
irresponsible and asked what I intended to do! To be honest, I had no idea!
We had no savings and now my possibilities for employment had been drasticly
reduced! But long before,  we had purposed to make our needs known only to
God.

Well, over the next year, we saw miracle after miracle of the Lord's
provision. He provided money so I could commence a sharpening business, but
between that and my wife's babysitting we cleared just $8000 in the next 12
months!  Not very much for a family of 7!  But that year every one of our
bills was paid before it was due! We ate better than we had ever eaten
before! And our kids were healthier than they had ever been in the lives!
Occasionally we had an "emergency" which required going to the doctor or
hospital emergency ward for stitches etc, but every single time the Lord had
provided  ahead of time so we had CASH ON HAND to pay the bills before we
left the office or hospital!

A few years later, Ontario changed the "health plan" from being funded by
premiums as an insurance program to be funded by direct taxation. All
employers were taxed for this purpose and so everyone paid for it through
increases in the costs of goods and services! All you had to do was apply
for a provincial "health card" and all your medical expences were looked
after. Since I thought it was no longer an insurance scheme, but part of the
taxation system, I felt I could participate without bearing personal
responsibility for the evil that I knew was being funded by our tax dollars.
But just in the last few years I've learned that all such government schemes
are part of our social insurance system (the same as U.S. social security)
and everyone who claimed such "benefits" also had to have a Social Insurance
Number (S.I.N.) I had come to realize that participation in the SI system
meant that one was being surety for the national debt (contrary to clear
scriptural teaching on "being surety" Prov.6:1-5; 11:15; 17:18; 20:16; 22:26
and 27:13).  So I have returned and revoked the S.I.N. that had been issued
to me years before as well as all other government issued I.D. attached to
benefits connected with it. That included my health card.

I am confident and have proven by experience that my God is able to meet all
of my needs. If I am sick, he is able to heal, to use that illness for His
own purposes in my life, and /or provide whatever is necessary in the
process! Have also learned from scripture and experience that God allows His
people to choose on whom they will depend when in need. We can choose to
rely upon Him, or we can choose to rely upon man. But God also allows us to
receive the consequences that are linked to that choice!  I can think of no
better illustration of this principle than that given in II Chron.14 to 16
in the life of King Asa. Read these chapters and see the situations in which
King Asa found himself. Watch the choices he made, the one(s) on whom he
chose to rely and the consequences which he received.  The story is summed
up in II Chron.16:9 with these words:"For the eyes of the Lord run to and
fro throughout the whole earth, to show Himself strong in the behalf of him
whose heart is perfect toward Him."

That principle is as true today as it was in Asa's day and God is still
wanting far more than we imagine to show Himself strong on behalf of those
whose heart is perfect toward Him!  (A "perfect heart" is NOT a sinless
heart or "super-spiritual" heart, but rather the heart of one who is
dependent upon God, loyal to Him and obedient!)

I would encourage anyone whose heart has been challenged to trust God more
fully in the area of health or any other area of life...to follow the
counsel of Mary to the servants at the wedding at Cana in John 2:5....it is
just seven little but very powerful words: "WHATSOEVER HE SAITH UNTO YOU, DO
IT!"

Your brother in Christ,
Bruce Woodford