House Church Talk - Health Insurance

Bruce Woodford bwood4d at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 22 20:55:36 EST 2004

Hi David,

You wrote:"I believe that the church was to be the department of social
services. Unfortunately, she invested her funds in other things."

You are right about that! Other things like temple buildings, salaries of
clerics etc!

You continued:"I recall learning that some of the early settlers in Quaker
country refused to use lighting rods on their barns. Is that trusting God or
is it tempting God?"

Brother, using means such as fences, locks, lightening rods, shingles etc TO
PREVENT  damage or loss from known dangers is a different matter altogether
from insurance!

Acquiring insurance does not prevent any damage or loss, but rather
contributes to a common purse with unbelievers which provides for
restoration, repair, or replacement AFTER the fact, AFTER the loss, AFTER
the damage!  The party which is injured or suffers loss is reimbursed from
that common purse into which all have contributed.

The question is: To whom do we turn in our time of need, our time of loss,
or damage? Do we turn in a different direction than the unsaved, or the same
direction?  Where we turn in our time of need tells far more about our
confidence in God than our words!

You continued:"Well, you might enjoy this piece by Jonathan Lindvall. This
article was originally published in Home School Digest:
http://www.boldchristianliving.com/text-only/articles/insuranc.html

Thank you brother for bringing Jonathon's excellent article to our
attention.

He refers to many of the same scriptures that the Lord used to challenge my
own thoughts on insurance.

That process extended over more than 20 years in my own life as the Lord
dealt first with insurance on a church building, then life insurance, health
insurance, employment insurance,  social insurance, and auto liability
insurance.

I don't have a web site, but have written an article on insurance which is a
personal testimony of the Lord's dealings with me on these issues, but far
more than that...it is a testimony of His faithfulness in providing for our
needs when we opted out of dependence on each of these insurance schemes. It
also looks at a number of different designations in scripture which describe
what we call "insurance" today.  I'd be happy to send this by e-mail to
anyone who requests it.

I don't claim that everyone ought to do as I have done, but I do encourage
every believer to heed the counsel of Mary to the servants at the wedding at
Cana, "Whatsoever He saith unto you, do it!" (John 2:5) Whatever God clearly
indicates to you is His direction for you, the wisest course is just to do
it!

Your brother in Christ,
Bruce