House Church Talk - Pattern or simply an adaptation?

Glenn Frank glennfrank at earthlink.net
Fri Jan 23 13:17:14 EST 2004

I understand the origins of these practices... And I agree that they are
from pagan and human tradition... But again...

What tells us in scripture that the practice of house to house meetings, the
informal gathering and worship style that is in the NT was intended as a
MODEL or PRINCIPLE for all the church to follow in all times, as apposed to
what God was having them do at THAT TIME, in their generation, and their
specific circumstances?

The Bible clearly tells us that it is our love for God and each other that
is the key to real spiritual community, no matter what the form... It is
really relational issues not format that is the core of a healthy church.

Read Wayne Jacobson article about form:
http://lifestream.org/LSBL.Feb02.html

I think he makes some valid points...

That if we are unwilling to minister and live a life for Christ where we are
in an institutional organized church... How will changing the form make it
all better? That is why I wonder how the "FORM" that the early church had
might be a "form" we have to follow. Granted... I think there is a lot there
which is healthy for relation anal Christianity... But is it MANDATED that
this is how the church should meet?

Is it not the substance and actions of the people and God rather than the
format?

Glenn