House Church Talk - Pattern or simply an adaptation?

Bruce Woodford bwood4d at hotmail.com
Sat Jan 24 05:08:57 EST 2004

Hi Glenn,

You wrote an excellent response..."I agree with all your assessments of the
things we are told and the things we are not told about in regard to church
practice... But although these are all interesting observations on the
man-made things that have been institutionalized into the church, they seem
to prove a negative. I mean, you just say there is more scripture talking
about the church meeting in homes to do the one-anothers than for any other
man-made practice in the church, and I agree... But I don't know if that
answers the question of whether the concept of meeting in homes and 'doing
church' in a house church manner was a PATTERN and a PRINCIPLE to follow for
all generations, or if it was simply the way that the church was being
PRACTICAL to ADAPT to the needs of their generation and their culture. (and
the persecution they faced as apposed to the relative religious freedom we
have in the USA today). Any thoughts on that angle?"

You have made some very good observations with which I would not argue at
all. However, I think you may have also adopted one ASSUMPTION which your
pastor and many others have made, which may not be an actual matter of fact!
  The assumption is:"Yes, meeting in homes or at least small groups is
probably the best and only workable solution for believers under
persecution. But when believers have religious freedom/freedom from overt
persecution, ministry, fellowship, worship, equipping etc may be done much
more effectively in much larger gatherings in large consecrated buildings."

To challenge this kind of assumption, I would ask, "What evidence is there
that large gatherings (in which the majority of the saints are spectators,
in which only a very small percentage are active participants, and in which
the major participants are paid to "do ministry")   are EVER  more effective
mediums for  ministry, fellowship, worship or equipping of the saints, than
smaller, more intimate gatherings in homes?

Similar assumptions and arguments could be made about many N.T. practices:
(1)Early Christians used water for baptizing because that was all they had.
It was plentiful, and  inexpensive for them. But since it is never mandated
as the medium which MUST be used, cannot Christians (who may be wealthier
and have a wider variety of fluids available) use other mediums for
baptizing? i.e. virgin olive oil, honey, apple juice etc etc.
Just as we CANNOT say that Christians MUST meet in HOMES, we CANNOT  say
that believers MUST be baptized in WATER. However, just as we CAN ask, "What
possible advantages can be proven to justify regular large gatherings in
large and very expensive buildings?", so too we CAN ask, "What possible
advantages are there for using any other medium than that which was used for
baptizing in N.T. times?"

(2)We CANNOT say that having ONE PASTOR, and PAYING HIM A SALARY is a sinful
and disobedient practice that violates direct commands of scripture.
However, we CAN ASK, "What possible advantage (in view of providing
scriptural care, ministry and equipping of saints for ministry) could there
be in hiring ONE MAN to be responsible for shepherding the flock of God (as
opposed to looking to a number of elders who work with their own hands to
meet their own needs as well as the needs of others?"

You also wrote:"I understand the origins of these practices... And I agree
that they are from pagan and human tradition... But again... What tells us
in scripture that the practice of house to house meetings, the informal
gathering and worship style that is in the NT was intended as a MODEL or
PRINCIPLE for all the church to follow in all times, as apposed to what God
was having them do at THAT TIME, in their generation, and their specific
circumstances? The Bible clearly tells us that it is our love for God and
each other that is the key to real spiritual community, no matter what the
form... It is really relational issues not format that is the core of a
healthy church."

You are absolutely right, brother! Relationships ARE the big deal for new
covenant saints! Nurturing relationships with God and with our brothers and
sisters IS THE PRIORITY, and NOT  the question of FORM  (house churches or
institutional churches). So since relationships are the priority, my
question is: Should we not seek to use forms that are best suited for
nurturing relationships with other members in the Body of Christ?  Which
forms are best suited for the purpose?....

-sitting in pews in large auditoriums which are designed to PREVENT face to
face, eyeball to eyeball contact between pew sitters and are designed to
discourage interaction between them and limit the exercise of gifts and
ministry to a small minority OR

-sitting in chairs or on the floor of livingrooms where everyone is facing
one another and is expected to interact with the others, and where ample
opportunity is afforded to all to exercise their particular gifts and
receive a variety of ministry derived from the giftings of others?

Does this help?  NEITHER, house churches nor institutional churches are ever
set forth in scripture as THE PATTERN to follow. But, in view of the
purposes that scripture sets forth as the reasons for church gatherings,  we
need to ask, "Which forms are best suited to the purposes for which God
would have us to meet?"

Your brother in Christ,
Bruce