House Church Talk - Pattern or simply an adaptation?

Glenn Frank glennfrank at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 27 00:49:12 EST 2004

Hi David,

I was looking last night for info about church buildings prior to
Constantine too. I found references to buildings made specifically for use
as places of Christian worship prior to Constantine. So, although it seems
that meeting in small groups in homes was defiantly the norm for early
Christians, it was not the only way. My guess is that they might have begun
to build 'public church buildings' when there was less persecution. But I
don't know if these buildings would have been anything like the Roman
Catholic models we think of.

On this page:
http://www.ccel.org/w/wace/biodict/htm/iii.xix.xxxix.htm

And this page:
http://www.severusalexander.com/historia.htm

You can find info about the Roman Emperor Severus Alexander who was recorded
as having settled a dispute between shop owners and a Christian church who
wanted to build a building on a certain property in Rome. It also says that
Severus Alexander was actually tolerant of Christianity and even wanted to
build a 'Christian temple', but did not, on advice from pagan priests who
feared loosing their followers if the Emperor put his stamp of approval on
the religion.

I get the impression that the primary reason for meeting in homes in the
early years of the church was because it was one way to stay hidden and
underground during persecution, and also met the need of the close personal
ministry talked about in the NT.

Now... Not to say that building big facilities then is justified as a good
idea...

But IF one did not make a gathering in such a building into a ritual or a
forum for an orator to drone on with a mass of uninvolved spectators, then
where does it say an authentic church gathering for worship and ministry
could not be held in a larger building and designated a 'church building'
rather than just in a 'private house'?

Glenn Frank