House Church Talk - Baptising with water

Vanessa DiDomenico van3hijos at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 28 05:53:15 EST 2004

--- "Ted B. Harris" <tedmail at eoni.com> wrote:
> Brother Bruce, I am a little puzzled by your comment:
> That Christians meet in homes is certainly never commanded, but neither
> is
> water as the medium for baptism of believers! But there are more
> scriptural
> examples of the former than the latter!
> I will have to agree that nowhere in the new testiment have I read "Thou
> must use water for baptising believers", however there are several
> instances where water was the medium used, and I have noted no other
> medium being used such as wine or olive oil.

Remember that baptizo means 'immerse' and doesn't necessarily mean in a
substance you can feel with youir hands and see with your eyes. You can be
immersed in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit, which would mean
(in the context and time it was written) that you would live your life
fully as those names commanded.

John CLEARLY says that Jesus baptizes with fire and the Holy Spirit. I
doubt any of us will enter an oven, but fire has a special meaning: think
of the chicken with bird fly being burned, and incinerators at hospitals
which burn all things used in surgery: THEY ELIMINATE ALL DIRTY THINGS!
Fire is the only thing that can leave you completely cleann, water is
often dirty itself. And the Holy Spirit comes to us through Christ, as the
Comforter while we do not have Jesus Himself here... yet.

Vanessa