House Church Talk - Baptisms and Administrations

Bruce Woodford bwood4d at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 29 22:12:15 EST 2004

Hi Ross,

You wrote:"The problem with dispensational theology is not that it doesn't
use Biblical terminology because it does, the problem is that it can't be
explained with any kind of brevity! It also encompasses a wide variety of
views which some see as a weakness. But in general, ispensationalist circles
contain many independent thinkers and studiers which is rather its strength.
Even though
>as with any movement, there are elements that settle in and degenerate into
>  denominationalism, there are those that continue to grow and evolve as
>they emulate the Bereans that searched the Scriptures daily to see whether
>those things are true or not."

Dear brother, every doctrine of scripture is stated in words of scripture.
Can you show us a statement of the doctrine of dispensations'administrations
(plural)?

I'd written:"Of all the places which I have listed where the words "baptizo"
or "bapto" are used in the scriptures, I've not found any so far that speak
of Noah's experience in the flood as a "baptism". I certainly may have
missed some, especially in the O.T. If you could help me locate the text(s)
you are speaking about, I'd really appreciate it.

You replied:"1Pe 3:20-21; Also note Israel's baptism into Moses in the cloud
and in the sea without getting wet either. Of course these are types."

But brother, I peter 3 does not call the flood a baptism!  I was not
disputing that people could be baptized without getting wet! To be baptized
does not mean to be wet, but rather to be placed into something. The
children of Israel were placed into the cloud as it was before them AND went
behind them. IT did not move from being in front and then go around and end
up behind them. Rather it extended from before all the way to behind them
and thus they were actually EVELOPED in the cloud.

I asked:"what scripture has lead you to believe that the Holy Spirit is the
baptizer of new believers into identification with Christ?"

You responded:"Rom 6:3-4 EMTV Or do you not know that as many of us as were
baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into His death? (4) Therefore we
were buried with Him through baptism into death, so that just as Christ was
raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, so we also should walk
in newness of life.
If this is water baptism, then it is self-evident that water baptism places
us into Christ which would mean baptismal regeneration. Now that means all
the non-water baptized are unsaved. But Paul was NOT sent to water baptize
(even if he baptized a few, he did not baptize all and the reason is, I take
it, succeeding revelation), but he was sent to save! (As per 1Cor 10:33
etc.) The apostle to the Gentiles never mentions water baptism as a
requirement for salvation but rather explicitly states that it is through
faith apart from works. So this baptism can not involve water."

Brother, the word "into"(Strong's #1519) used here does NOT indicate the
medium of the baptism, but rather the purpose or reason for that baptism.
This is seen in 1 Corinthians 10:2  And were all baptized unto Moses in the
cloud and in the sea;  The mediums were the cloud and the sea indicated by
the preposition "en" Stromg's #1722, but the purpose was that they were
baptized "unto" (#1519) Moses that is, unto his leadership. Moses was NOT
the medium in which they were baptized!

So regarding the baptism of Romans 6:3, it is the purpose of the baptism in
the spirit to unite believers with Christ as their Head.  But the baptism of
verse 4 is a different baptism! The word " indicates that the first (v3) is
the reason for the second (v.4).  So baptism of believers in water is the
acknowledgment of the believer of what God has said and done regarding their
death, burial and resurrection with Christ. I Peter 3:21 says that baptism
is the answer (acknowledgement) of a good conscience toward God."   Baptism
is not primarily a demonstration to men who observe but primarily an
acknowledgement of the believer to God!

The same distinction in words is used in I Cor 12:13. The medium (the
Spirit) being indicated by "en" and the purpose or reason of the baptism
being indicated by the other word #1519. The reason for the baptism in the
Holy Spirit is our union with the Body.

Well, I must close off here and may be without a computer for a few days as
my son is upgrading mine. Hopefully will continue later.

Your brother in Christ,
Bruce