House Church Talk - Re: cessation of spiritual gifts?

Phillip Cohen spiritfilledhome at juno.com
Thu Jul 1 09:46:37 EDT 2004

Howdy,

Long post here. Sorry. But take a short break and read anyway. I hope you
enjoy.

In my short Christian life (30 years), I've been in both camps. Actually,
I was in the cessationist camp the longest. But I found the cessationist
view doesn't work. See, there's lots of ways to "logically" put Bible
verses together and create "doctrines" that God may or may not agree
with.

I see the Bible as a pattern book (more than a history book) that fits
every age, every culture, every level of technology--especially when it
comes to the supernatural side. If we take a "that was for back then"
approach, we may miss some great, supernatural events that are happening
today.

One day I finally admitted to myself that my theology didn't work. And I
admitted to myself that the churches I was attending experienced a very
weak version of Christ. Then God led our family into a wilderness
experience, where we had almost no fellowship for two years. Very scary.
But in that wilderness we found freedom to explore who God is, without
having our explorations constantly broadsided by well meaning believers.
I was so desperate and hungry. I would sometimes read 10-20 Bible
chapters each day. I would spend hours and hours in prayer. I listened to
preaching tapes from this and that camp. I wanted to know. I REALLY
WANTED TO KNOW!!

So what happened? Wow! God shattered practically every "doctrine" I
thought I believed. And our understanding of God's nature took a 180
degree turn. What an eye-opener that was!

Sometimes, I think we would be better off calling our views theories
instead of doctrines. The Holy Spirit has His own theology. Often our
theology prevents us from perceiving His theology. Bottom line, does my
theology work in everyday life? His does. Are the people who subscribe to
my theology able to truly love each other? God's theology empowers us to
love each other and bear ALL the fruit of the Spirit. If my heart is pure
and honest toward God, then the more fruit I bear, the more correct my
theology must be.

So what am I trying to say? Without the supernatural dimension, we can't
succeed in our Christian lives. Our very existence depends upon it. And
without living in the sweetness of both the gifts and fruit of the
Spirit, we're just a bunch of grouchy religious men and women with
unproven theories.

I see a danger in the camp where my tent is pitched today. The
Charismatics, who verily believe in the gifts of the Spirit, will
sometimes exaggerate the gifts and miracles they claim to have seen.
Lying never accomplishes anything.

I cast my vote for present day miracles and gifts of the Spirit. I
wouldn't want to live without them. I could tell you lots of stories.
Sometimes you have to believe before you can see.

Phillip
spiritfilledhome at juno.com
God is love, and all who live in love live in God, and God lives in them.
1 John 4:16