House Church Talk - Re: cessation of spiritual gifts

Adamkwyhmed at aol.com Adamkwyhmed at aol.com
Fri Jul 2 10:40:06 EDT 2004

re:
allow ALL of scripture to be the
standard by which you evaluate every theory of men, including the theory
that the gifts of the spirit have ceased

All that I have seen has told me that G-d's word and promises are true.  All
that has been tested of me have shown me that G-d's word and promises are
true.  At one point I pondered on whether the gifts had ceased, yet I saw, and
still see them working around me and through me today.  Theories may sound good,
however how many boxes are we, as believers and followers, going to put G-d
in?  I encourage you brethren,(i.e. brothers), to find your reasonings in the
scriptures, not in the theories around you.  The practical application of the
scriptures on a daily bases incorperates the authority of "G-d being with us".
However the constant arguementation of whether the scripturers are applicable
today instead deny His authority and presence being with us, and instead make
us bent upon our own works of merit for salvation.  However the answer of
salvation based on our own merits is found in the scriptures: "For by Grace, are
we saved, through faith, and that not of ourselves, rather it is a gift of God,
not of works, lest any man boast".  So if the gifts are applicable, it is for
the glory of Christ.  "Every knee shall bow and every tounge confess in
heaven, on earth, and under the earth, that Jesus Christ is Lord to the glory of
God the Father".  Until Christ comes physically, the Holy Spirit is our teacher.
 He leads us and guides us in all things.  The Holy Spirit works through us.
If needed, there is healings, prophecy, etc..  However in all things, even
theories, the main glory and edification is to Jesus Christ.  If not than
someone else is receiving glory.  Even Mary instructed the servants to listen and do
what Jesus told them to do.  The focus of the believers is not supposed to be
upon the gifts, which will come, rather upon the Giver.
I have read in the attachments that the gifts have ceased, yet I know of the
dead being brought back to life, I have seen people healed, the lame men
walking, the blined eyes opened, the dumb tounge loosed, the sons of Abraham freed
from demon possession in both the scriptures and my own personal life.  I bear
you to remember Christ's own words when he left:
In Mathew: "Chapter 28:18b-20:All authority (all power of rule) in heaven and
on earth has been given to Me.  Go then and make disciples of all the
nations, baptizing them into the name of the Father, and of the Son and of the Holy
Spirit.  Teaching them to observe everything that I have commanded you, and
behold, I am with you all the days (perpetually, uniformly, and on every
occasion), to the [very] close and consummation of the age.  Amen (so let it be)."
Amplified Bible
In Mark: "Chapter 16:15-18:  And He said to them, Go into all the world and
preach and publish openly the good news (the Gospels) to every creature [of the
whole human race].  He who believes [who adheres to and trusts in and relies
on the Gospel and Him Whom it sets forth] and is baptized will be saved [from
the penalty of eternal death]; but he who does not believe [who does not
adhere to and trust in and rely on the Gospel and Him Who it sets forth] will be
condemned.  And these attesting signs will accompany those who believe: in My
name they will drive out demons; they will speak in new languages; They will
pick up serpents; and [even] if they drink anything deadly, it will not hurt
them; they will lay their hands on the sick, and they will get well."
In Luke:  "Chaper 24:44-49: Then He said to them, This is what I told you
while I was still with you: everything which is written concerning Me in the Law
of Moses and the Prophets and the Psalms must be filfilled.  Then He
[thouroughly] opened up their minds to understand the Scriptures.  And said to them,
Thus it is written that the Christ (the Messiah) should suffer and on the third
day rise from (among) the dead, [Hos. 6:2] And that repentance [with a view to
and as the condition of] forgiveness of sins should be preached in His name
to all nations, beginning from Jerusalem.  You are witnesses of these things.
And behold, I will send forth upon you what My Father has promised; but remain
in the city [Jerusalem] until you are clothed with power from on high."
In John:  "Chapter 21:15-23: When they had eaten, Jesus said to Simon Peter,
Simon, son of John, do you love Me more than these [others do-with reasoning,
intentional, spirtual devotion, as one loves the Father]?  He said to Him,
Yes, Lord, You know that I love You [that I have deep, instinctive, personal
affection for You, as for a close friend].  He said to him, Feed My lambs.  Again
He said to him the second time, Simon, son of John, do you love Me [with
reasoning, intentional, spiritual devotion, as one loves the Father]?  He said to
Him, Yes, Lord, You know that I love You [that I have a deep, instinctive,
personal affection for You, as for a close friend].  He said to him, Shepherd
(tend) My sheep.  He said to him the third time, Simon, son of John, do you love
Me [with a deep, instinctive, personal affection for Me, as for a close
friend]?  Peter was grieved (was saddened and hurt) that He should ask him the thrid
time, Do you love Me?  And he said to Him, Lord, You know everything; You know
that I love You [that I have a deep, instinctive, personal affection for You,
as for a close friend].  Jesus said to him, Feed My sheep.  I assure you,
most solemnly I tell you when you were young you girded yourself [put on your own
belt or girdle] and you walked about wherever you pleassed to go.  But when
you grow old you will stretch out your hands, and someone else will put a
girdle around you and carry you where you do not wish to go.  He said this to
indicate by what kind of death Peter would glorify God.  And after this, he said to
him, Follow Me!  But Peter turned and saw the disciple whom Jesus loved,
following--the one who also had leaned back on His breast at the supper and had
said, Lord, who is it that is going to betray You?  When peter saw him, he said
to Jesus, Lord, what bout this man?  Jesus said to him, If I want him to stay
(survive, live) till I come, what is that to you?  [What concern is it of
yours?] You follow Me!  So word went out among the brethren that this disciple was
not going to die; yet Jesus did not say to him that he was not ging to die,
but, If I want him to stay (survive, live) till I come, what is that to you?
The reason I brought up the first 3 books is to remind us what Jesus stated
we were to do if we are his followers: To wait until we are endued with the
Power from on high, the promise of the Heavenly Father, to spread the gospel to
the whole world, both in words and in deeds.  The reason I brought up the 4rth
book is to remind us of what we are to do if we Love Jesus: a. To feed his
sheep; b. what is it to us how the Lord works with other believers, we are to
follow Him, "Jesus Christ"
So whether the Lord works through us in signs and wonders, or even in prayer,
our main intention should be to follow "Him".
Beloved in Christ, Let us reason together for the glorifying of Christ and
the edifying of the body of Christ.  Let Jesus Christ be our all in all.
Sincerely,
A BondServant of Jesus Christ and of the persecuted Church,
Adam Waggoner