House Church Talk - Organism vs. Organization

David Anderson david at housechurch.org
Fri Jul 2 16:22:57 EDT 2004

     Hi all,

Additional thoughts given to this subject over the last several days. I
hope the Teacher will teach me more about it.

Any idea can be advanced too far, I suppose, if it diminishes other
truths.

In a sense, the early church was a welfare organization. That is, certain
folks were appointed to these special tasks and that on a regular basis,
rather than hit and miss. Acts 6.

One may have read these posts and concluded that we favor
disorganization. Quite the contrary - all things in the church are to be
"done decently and in order." 1 Cor. 14:40 Let all things be done
decently and in order.

It would be a remarkable thing if the only thing in God's universe which
had no order was his church. But his kind of order should not produce the
high levels of institutionalism and professionalism which presently
exists, imo.

An interesting corollary is that since the church is not an
"organization," there is silence in the Scripture about churches
"organizing, forming, being planted, birthing, forming core groups prior
to organizing, getting a charter, waiting until duly qualified officers
are available before organizing, etc." That fact should command our
attention.

The closest thing I see is that Jesus, himself, will build his church.

The highway beckons me now, I must depart.

      David Anderson