House Church Talk - Why Americans Still Fight

jim sutton goodword at bresnan.net
Tue Jul 6 07:28:21 EDT 2004

My youngest son is expected to return home from Bahrain in about 9 days.  And
that's good because the area is now under a serious threat of terrorist
attack, and all U.S. citizens have been ordered out.  Bahrain has a U.S. base
serving the action in Iraq.

He and I have been talking, back and forth, about the troubles that the Iraqi
people have been faced with all these years, and about why the United States
is always getting involved in the struggles of other nations.

I'd like to share some of those thoughts here, if I may.

Why is the United States always getting involved in conflicts all over the
world?  Why are we so willing to sacrifice our national wealth and our own
lives in places like Afghanistan and Iraq?

Obviously, we cannot make any people or nation free who do not really hunger
for it themselves.  All we can do is try to get rid of oppression in some
cases.  Our democratic system does not fit every people in every culture.

And so many people wonder why the United States must always be involved, all
over the world.

There are two reasons.

1.  We were once a tiny group of people hoping and struggling to become free.
 And in our hour of need, we did receive help from friends.  Since that time,
we've become free and very powerful as a people.  So now we as a free people
feel a debt -- the obligation to help others who are now being oppressed.

2.  We also see that freedom is not possible, especially for smaller nations,
as long as aggressors are allowed to grow stronger and stronger.  And so we
keep a close eye (or try to) on the political developments in many nations.
And we try to learn from history.  We waited so long to enter WW2 that many
free nations were almost lost forever to Hitler's machine.  Since then, we've
understood that peace and freedom are easier to keep than to win back.

Not that the price is ever small.

Whether a nation is free, as we are, or being crushed under the foot of
others, many lives are always lost.  The ruined cities and mass graves in
oppressed lands all over the world testify to that fact of life.  In oppressed
lands, men and women and children have little or no hope of having a real life
at all, even if they manage to live.  But the U.S. has chosen to make our
sacrifices count for something good -- and for the common good of all people.

Ours is not a perfect system.  Our leaders are not perfect men.  Our soldiers
and the families they leave behind are not perfect, either.  But we're not
struggling for perfection in any war or military conflict.  We just want the
chance for our people, our children, our way of life -- and for the peoples
and children and lives of other nations -- to develop as best we can.  We want
to be able to grow up, to sing our own songs, to laugh at our own stupid
jokes, to marry who and when we want to, to live where we want, eat what we
want, and to make a family, a home, a heritage of our very own.

Those are desires and needs I believe -- and many Americans believe -- that
God Himself has placed deep inside the hearts of all people.  And so we
struggle against any man and any power that would try to rob us, or rob
others, of the chance to see what we can become as individuals, as families,
and as a free people.

Jim