House Church Talk - A blessed 4th of July weekend

Dan Beaty dlbeaty at copper.net
Wed Jul 7 17:00:09 EDT 2004

Hello everyone!

On several of our past and recent 4th of July weekends, we have borrowed my
mother-in-law's camp site and trailer in beautiful Hocking Hills for a
mini-retreat for our Christian friends. While 2 of our regular families were
unable to come this time, a couple that we have been just getting to know
came down Sunday with their toddler son and her mother to fill the gap. It
was fun.

They were sharing with us how in their first attempt at Home Church a few
years ago, some problems arose over differing goals/concepts/visions of what
the church should be or how the meetings should go.

They felt that there should be some regular activities such as singing
praises, prayer, Bible study etc. Others however felt that the time should
be totally agendaless. What happened was that the gathering together
eventually degenerated to fellowship around football, or some other
interest.

In a short time the group fizzled.

In our fellowship we have some who want more structure, others less, and
perhaps some that are satisfied with the degree of structure we have now.
Many over the years have ceased to fellowship with us over this very issue.

What I can say for those of us who did continue in fellowship was that I
believe it was His love that held us together. But I feel a desire for His
Truth is involved also.

This desire for His Truth not only led us out of our old, traditional views
but also back to the Scriptures where we see the Church as the community
that Christ Himself established. In the NT we can clearly see His specific
purpose for the Church unfolding.

May all of us come to possess such a view of His purpose that will totally
eradicate any lies the enemy may inject, in his attempt to neutralize the
glorious purpose Christ has for His Church!

Dan B.