House Church Talk - Hebrews & Making the change...

Glenn Frank glennfrank at earthlink.net
Fri Jul 9 13:48:42 EDT 2004

Hi everyone...

I just thought I would share this... Our home group started up about 6
months back, and everyone involved came out of an institutional church,
where we had become frustrated with all the mechanics and corporate meeting
practices. We started the home group to get back to some simple, natural,
basic worship, study and fellowship.

One of the things we have done Is read and study through the book of
Hebrews... And I found it to be very relevant to those who are just come out
of the institutional church into a house church environment. The Book of
Hebrews of course makes the point that the Jewish believers who were having
a hard time leaving behind the old rituals and the old traditions should see
that what Jesus offers is far superior and they should put all their trust
in his salvation and not worry about all the rituals of the old covenant.

Now, while our house church group were all ready to leave the IC and
discover a new way to live and worship... There are some things that die
hard, and sometimes we can get frustrated and almost long for some of the
elements of the old IC environment. In looking at the book of Hebrews in
light of our transition to the House Church, in general it had a lot to say
about us leaving behind the inferior for the better.

So, I just thought I would share that with everyone in case you have people
in your house church who kind of long for the 'old ways'.

Glenn Frank