House Church Talk - Purpose Driven Church

jim pierceall jpierceall at brtc.net
Wed Jul 14 09:51:37 EDT 2004

Presisting I finally got to that review of Kenneth's - thinking I will spare
you time and effort to locate it - I forward it to you now, for
considerations...  Thanks Kenneth -  JimP...

-------------

24 of 128 people found the following review helpful:
 Mediochre writing and questionable theology/application March 15, 2004
The book doesn't qualify as awful, but the book suffers mightily from bad
writing. The largest problem is that the "40 Days of Purpose" could easily
have fit into seven. Rick Warren also takes every opportunity he can to
advertise his other books and materials and in the chapters pertinent to
church membership, he makes no provision for abusive church environments. He
is also an unapologetic proponent of contemporary worship style and
"seeker-friendly" evangelism. Very little is said about the authority of
Scripture and the importance of preaching the truth loudly. Warren makes a
big deal out of tithing, when there is nothing in the New Testament
authorizing the church to collect a tithe of pocket lint much less anything
else. I also see very strong hints of Arminianism in this book, which sort
of sits as an emetic icing on top of a very bland cake.
There is some palpable good in this book though and many important lessons
as well, even if they are articulated in condescending manner. He stresses
personal responsibility for growing as a Christian, the need for fellowship,
and the importance of a servant attitude. He also makes an important point
that every Christian can serve in some sort of ministry, whatever their
gifts may be.
Still, nowhere as enlightening or edifying as the hype would suggest...