House Church Talk - Visualizing Christ

Bruce Woodford bwood4d at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 23 03:04:23 EDT 2004

Dear brother Philip,

When you say you want to be like Jesus, I doubt that you mean you want to
LOOK like Him. Rather I would think that your desire is that His moral
character would be formed in you. Am I correct?

If so, I believe that meditation on scriptural portraits of Christ in
scripture would be the godly manner by which to achieve your desire to be
like Him.

It is God's desire and intention that each one of us be "conformed to the
image of His Son". Rom.8:29

A couple of examples of character sketches of Christ in scripture are Psalm
1 and Philipians 4:8.

The "blessed man" of Psalm one is Christ, Himself.   The character qualities
of Phil.4:8 are only true of Christ,Himself. So as we "think on these
things", we are meditating on  a portrait of the One who is the theme of all
of scripture.

The tabernacle in the wilderness (the most detailed picture in scripture) is
indeed an awesome portrait of Christ as well!   A study of Exodus 25-40
yields a veritable mine of treasures when one realizes it is, in fact, an
"object lesson" or a "picture book" of God's Beloved Son!

It was for such reasons as this that Paul instructed Timothy (in I Timothy
4:13-15) to " give attendance to reading, to exhortation, to
doctrine....Meditate upon these things; give thyself wholly to them; that
thy profiting may appear to all."

Our transformation into the image of Christ comes about by the renewing of
our minds. Romans 12:1,2

I hope these thoughts and examples may be of real profit to you brother!

Yours in Christ,
Bruce