House Church Talk - specks and motes

DanG dan.dgordon at gmail.com
Sat Jul 24 11:56:15 EDT 2004

Liz Smith wrote:
> Hello brothers and sisters,
>
> I am confused and maybe someone can help me out.  I have been reading all
> the posts about visualization.  I have tried to not be biased because,
> yes, I was VERY deep in new age and that brings up "stuff" for me.  I have
> also tried to understand what Phil is trying to accomplish also.
>
> But about the responses: isn't it our responsibility as Christians to
> point each other in the right direction?  I mean, let's say my sister in
> Christ is stealing (and I'm not comparing anything here, just giving an
> example) -- shouldn't I go to her and correct her if she's in error?  Or
> do I need to wait till I have no faults?  If I use this scripture (Luke
> 6:42  Either how canst thou say to thy brother, Brother, let me pull out
> the mote that is in thine eye, when thou thyself beholdest not the beam
> that is in thine own eye? Thou hypocrite, cast out first the beam out of
> thine own eye, and then shalt thou see clearly to pull out the mote that
> is in thy brother's eye.) to mean that I cannot correct anyone until I am
> perfect, what will become of us?
>
> I have been on email digests, brothers and sisters, that got nasty, and
> yes, they were Christian lists (ok, mostly women too).  I was embarrassed
> to be part of it.  But I don't see that as the situation here.  I have
> only witnessed love.  I grieve for the person who thinks correcting
> another brother in love (and obedience) is wrong.  THAT speaks of the
> "world" to me.
>
> I have seen Mat thew 18:16 in action here, as best as can be done on an
> email list.  And no one is judging a person here - they have tried to
> correct an action believed to be wrong.  Feel free to correct me if I am
> wrong.
>
> My thoughts,
> Liz

Liz - your experience in both realms of christian circles and as well
christian email lists is valuable.  It is a compliment to the
"management" of House Church Talk  that there is the congenial air here - but I
suspect that DavidA will say that the "management" is fundamentally
non-existent and it is a funciton of us folk here for the most part.
I hope my little outburst late last night does not sour the air of
congenial christianity which Liz notes.  Please, all, I was wrong in
the tone of that outburst at you Jim.  But Jim and I know each other,
somewhat - here and at the nntp group, eh?
DanG ChicagoArea