House Church Talk - Phil & his Visualizing

jim sutton goodword at bresnan.net
Sat Jul 24 15:38:43 EDT 2004

Lee Underwood wrote:

>I take offensive to your comment of shedding innocent blood (but I forgive
>you). Boy, if that is the case, then Jesus and all the disciples did their
>share of shedding innocent blood. This is not about humanism. This is about
>the Kingdom of God.

And so on it goes...

Thank you, Lee, for explaining how you feel, and for forgiving me.  I do not
need your forgiveness, but I know that you need to forgive.  Just as I need to
understand how and why we can jump on a tiny thing and build it into a big
mountain.  And I need to forgive those who did so to my brother.

Lee, try to understand.  I'm not saying that anyone here felt angry or like
fighting when they posted to Phil.  That?s part of the problem.  I?m sure it
probably felt good to stomp all over his innocent comments.  And I do
understand that.

In my mind, I can visualize churches -- both the old buildings and the groups
of people -- all over America.  So many good fellowships of decades past that
have dwindled down to nothing, or to almost nothing.  Too many communities
that once had hundreds of believers are lucky now to have a dozen or two real
Christians.  And one reason for that shrinking fellowship is that it can feel
so good to beat up on a brother or a sister -- all in the name of love and
helping.

We see a problem, or think we see a problem, and we just want to help.  And
then later, when we tell our other brothers and sisters about it, we just mean
for them to pray.  We?re not spreading tales.  And when we continue to examine
our hearts, to see if there was any bad intent, we see none, and so we
continue to justify ourselves.

By all means stand for godly and correct teaching, doctrine, practice and
lifestyle.  Anyone who knows me knows that I take that stand.

But don't be bound to a catchword, or a mistaken notion, to the extent that
you just keep posting, one after another of you, to the same good brother.  If
someone has already questioned an idea, a practice, or whatever, then wait and
allow the brother to answer for himself.  Make certain that he really has a
real problem before all of you jump in to fix it (sorry, I meant to say
"repair it", I'm from Texas).

Be considerate of the feelings and of the life of every good brother you have.
 A brother is not an enemy.  Give him some space, and if he really does try to
actively promote error, then just one or two of you share with him -- not the
whole list.

Phil is our brother.  Unless we all have Alzheimer's, we should be able to
recall all the good things he has shared with us.  So why, on a single
misunderstanding will we suddenly assume the worst.  That is shameful
behavior.  And that is one reason so many flee the "fellowship" we have to
offer.  Not just on here on this list, but in too many places.

Not everyone must say everything exactly as we do, or think just as we do, in
order to know and love our Lord Jesus.  Many believers all around this world
are going to say things, expressing the same faith we have, but with different
phrases and terms and words.  They will use different illustrations.  But they
are one in the Lord with us.

And so on.

But I've said enough on this topic.  You guys say and do as you will.  I
believe you do mean well.  But we need to move beyond ?meaning well? in our
relationships, if we want to honor both the Lord and each other.  Preferring
others does not mean justifying ourselves.

God bless each of you, no matter how you respond to this.  I know I?m an old
crank, and old cranks are good at getting things started.  I love each of you
in the Lord, and I really do mean well.

Jim