House Church Talk - Phil & his Visualizing

jim sutton goodword at bresnan.net
Sun Jul 25 09:19:54 EDT 2004

David Anderson wrote:

>Lord, please save us from the misuse of "key words."

Good Morning, David.  Thank you for that refreshing and kindly post.

I think we can all see that whatever my intent, I don't always manage to bring
anything resembling peace or reconciliation.  I suppose that just isn't one of
my special gifts.

But I know Someone who is very good at such things.  My Lord Jesus is able to
break down the wall that prevents each of us from seeing and knowing God as He
really is.  And with that single reconciliation in each of our lives, all the
rest is just a matter of time.

I know that some hearts here are still stinging from my recent words.  I trust
that God's Spirit will be able in a very short while to do whatever good work
pleases Him in each of us.

As to key words & phrases, I have also been one who jumps at similar things.
 I once belonged to a group of Christian believers who speak in tongues, and
who believe that speaking in tongues are a necessary evidence to being Spirit
filled.  My group also believed that one must worship with hands raised up,
and eyes closed.  They believe that any truly effective prayer must include
lots of speaking in tongues.  Any real worship, according to them, includes
holding one's hands up in the air, and speaking in tongues.

Many of the brothers and sisters I fellowshipped with were as sweet and
wonderful a saint of God as any you will ever meet.  I cherish every memory of
them, and I still have some of these brothers and sisters as family in Christ,
and even relatives.

As I continued to grow up in Christ, however, the Lord began to lead me in a
different direction.  As I began to pay more attention to His Word in
Scripture, I began to see that I had been taught a few ideas that do not fully
ring true with the plain meaning of Scripture.  I could see that a number of
my doctrines were not quite square with God's Word.

Obviously, when I voiced such revelations among my Pentecostal brothers and
sisters, I met with a very negative response.  They figured I was backsliding,
losing the Holy Spirit, and probably losing my salvation.  Obviously, I
worried a lot about such things, since I'd once been fully convinced of their
whole way of seeing God and His church.

As the Lord continued leading me out of the Pentecostal persuasions, I had
opportunity to visit lots of other Christian groups.  For a time, I felt
adrift, and unanchored, so far as the church itself is concerned.

And I remained very "touchy" about some things.  When the trend of worship in
other Christian groups began to change, as more Scripture songs, and other
contemporary worship styles came in, I was astonished to see that folks all
over were now sometimes raising their hands and closing their eyes when they
worshiped the Lord.

The "expected" and "required" raising of the hands had been a kind of bondage
to me in the past.  And at first, I felt that "Pentecostal" and "Charismatic"
influences were seeping into all the other churches.  Before long, they might
all be speaking in tongues.  What was God's church coming to?

But as the Lord continued His work of grace in my own life, I grew finally up
and past that point.  I now often raise my own hands and close my eyes when I
worship the Lord -- especially in private.  And I no longer have a problem
being with anyone who speaks in tongues while we pray or worship, so long as
they do not try to bring division in a group where such things are not done.

God Himself is the Architect and Builder of His church.  He directs each of
His own in the path they need to take.  We are not likely to be just like a
brother or sister in some other functioning part of the body.  But we can
accept each other as fellows members of Christ's church.

As for false religions and philosophies, I hate new-age ideas and practices as
much as anyone.  And yes, we do need to correct and help each other -- and
even rebuke each other in love.  A Pentecostal pastor, a friend of mine
rebuked me, not so long ago, for using the word "empower" when I was talking
about encouraging fellow believers to serve God.  He reminded me that the word
was a new-age term with an active contemporary meaning.  I listened,
understanding, and immediately stopped using the word.

My Pentecostal brother rebuked my careless use of a word.  He did not go on to
pretend that I was also ignorant of Christ, or that I was drifting swiftly
away from the true faith, or that he was wiser and deeper in the things of God
than I am.  He simply rebuked my choice of words, giving his reason, and our
then conversation went on.

Such a wise action from such a young IC pastor -- and a Pentecostal, at that!

By all means, as Dan pointed out in his last post, we should be able talk
about anything that matters to us.  If a word or term is offensive, scary, or
ambiguous in meaning, then we should probably say something.  But we need not
assume more than is required or reasonable.

Only wild and savage beasts try to all jump on a kill at the same time.  As
wise and worthy humans, we usually appoint just one man to butcher up the
kill, and to package each portion neatly, and then overcharge anyone who wants
some.  May we in the church be at least as civilized in our treatment of any
good brother or sister in Jesus Christ our Lord.

May His peace strengthen and sustain us all.  Amen.

Jim