House Church Talk - Phil & his Visualizing

Phillip Cohen spiritfilledhome at juno.com
Mon Jul 26 00:48:49 EDT 2004

Thanks, Jim.

Anyone got time for a slightly long post?

I'm part of a loving, caring local body. I have many close friends in
Christ outside the local body who know me quite well. I'm also involved
in a music ministry that holds each other in close accountability. They
all testify I'm steadily growing in the Lord.

My wife of 28 years and 9 children, ages 13-26 haven't seen a lack in my
passion for Christ. I still try to read 2-3 chapters per day in the Word.
I get up between 4 and 5 am, (sometimes as early as 2:30 am) and spend
quiet time with God.

No, my conscience isn't troubling me.

In the original post, I wrote the following:

"No, I'm not looking for a debate over whether this type of program is
right or wrong. An upbeat, inspiring discussion on this topic would be
very refreshing."

I wrote that because I know visualization is sometimes controversial.
(Yet, we all visualize) Also, I didn't want to take time for the endless
debates sometimes generated on these lists. I just wanted some brothers
and sisters to stir up their holy imaginations with me.

I appreciated the responses that came from a few on this list and some
personal friends not on this list.

Here are a couple of the best:

"You can just release those (fears).  You aren't making anything up here
… not going to fabricate anything, Philip … you're going to focus your
attention upon what you know to be true of Christ … and see yourself
becoming more and more Christ-like in the process … I think that’s a very
good thing to be and do."

And this one came from a widowed sister whose husband had been one of my
closest friends:

"I visualize Jesus in different ways depending upon my situation at the
time.

Today when I close my eyes and allow my surroundings to disappear. I see
Jesus walking on the sand next to an ocean with waves higher than His
head. He has His hands on His back, just strolling along. That is what I
need today with all the turmoil and confusion I am dealing with.

Sometimes I see His hand as He covers me in the cleft of the rock as He
did Moses.

Sometimes I see Him as a child running, laughing, and tumbling free from
all care.

Sometimes I myself in His arms stroking my hair and carrying me.

So I think my image of Him changes with my need."

No, I wasn't asking anyone how tall Jesus is, what color His hair, or the
size of His nose.

Aw, forget it.

Phillip
spiritfilledhome at juno.com
God is love, and all who live in love live in God, and God lives in them.
1 John 4:16