House Church Talk - House church or simply church wherever people are

DanG dan.dgordon at gmail.com
Tue Jul 27 10:18:06 EDT 2004

Dan Beaty wrote:

<SNIP>

> The brother saying this could not have been referring to our local
> situation, for we have never had the single pastor system in our HC. I
> suspect he was thinking about churches in general, who have ceo type
> pastors. This kind of cliche' can lead to much confusion IMO.
>
> How we communicate what we see and understand is important, especially if we
> hope to enlighten others to what we see. Do you agree?
>
> Dan

That is entirely true, really.  I speak the same harsh way, really.
So, now that you have focused on bad language/communication skill, go
on further.  How do we get heard in a place where any implication of
what we say means the fellow is out of a job?  This is his job - that
ceo position.  Will he or his parishoners care to entertain any dialog
on these matters?

Last week I was speaking with my brother.  He does not like the ceo
status in the meeting he is attending, but he does not have an
alternative that he wants.  Also, about a year ago he visited a friend
in CO and attended their housechurch and saw ceo position there, and
worse.  The guy was evidently a control freak - in a manner of
speaking - don't take the image too far, just generically noticebly
controlling the group as pastor/ceo.  He is retired, I think, so it is
not the income/job thing.  What I am getting at - there are bad
homechurch practices in existence also - we all could name names -
let's not, btdt.  And these examples flavor others in understanding or
speaking about what they can do toward meeting more simply.  I wonder
if house church/home church is becoming another non descript
denomiination?  Of course as soon as we coin the phraseology simple
meeting, the same will happen...

Carry on, Dan, with some ideas how we interface with others instead of
"in your face" type of rhetoric.  How to lead the horse to water?  How
to salt the oats? so to speak...
DanG ChicagoArea